Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-870A-UD3 : No boot, no POST, long beeps

Luron

GA-870A-UD3 : No boot, no POST, long beeps
« on: November 11, 2015, 02:58:57 pm »
Hi there,

Just yesterday, my computer freezed on Windows 7 during some intensive video edit job. Mouse cursor stuck, sound going in an awful loop higher and higher in frequency, image stuck... nothing else to do than hard reboot.
So I reboot. The POST sticks at the line about the memory. But it shows only "Memor", without even the rest of the word or the amount of memory.

After that last try of a BIOS POST, everything went dead. Each time I power up, nothing onscreen, and one very long beep followed by three long beeps, over and over again.

I unplugged the memory sticks, tried each one at a time, unplugged the graphic card, the sound card, HDDs, ...
I did a clear CMOS, pulling out the CMOS battery for an entire night.
Nothing. Still the very long beeps.

So I'm wondering what happened. I'm ready to agree that a piece of my hardware is burnt, but I'd like to replace only the bad piece. Can you help me to identify it ?

I'm attaching to this message a link to the record of the beep sequence I heard. It starts with the three long beeps, then one very long beep, then three long beeps again, and so on...
Here is the link : GA-870A-UD3_beep.wav

Computer specs :
- PSU : CoolerMaster GX 650W
- CPU : AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition
- Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 (Rev ?...)
- Memory : 4x4GB (16GB) G-Skill PC10600 Extreme 3 Ripjaws
- Graphic card : MSI TwinFrozr II nVidia GTX 580
- HDD/SSD : A lot of hard disks... (four in the case + 2 SSDs)

Thanks !

Luron

Re: GA-870A-UD3 : No boot, no POST, long beeps
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 08:45:30 am »
Anyone ?...  :'(

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 10:27:46 am »
It used to be that long beeps like the ones you are getting would indicate a graphics card failure of some sort.

Have you tried it in the other PCI slot (x4) on the motherboard?

Are the PCIe power leads, plugged in correctly on the Graphics Card?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Luron

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 12:12:20 pm »
Hi absic,
thanks a lot for your answer.

I'll try what you suggest tomorrow. Seems like a good idea and a good start for troubleshouting!

Luron

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 04:05:33 pm »
I tried the graphic card in the x4 PCIe slot. Still no boot, same beeps...

I might buy a cheap graphic card, just to see.

I cannot get the POST without the graphic card, can I ?

Edit : and the PCIe power leads are correctly plugged in.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 04:34:04 pm by Luron »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 05:47:02 pm »
No you can't get the PC to BOOT/POST without a graphics card but, before rushing out and getting hold of another GPU, remove your existing card and try to power up the PC.

Are you still getting the same error beeps? If you are then it is almost definitely a GPU error. If, however, you get  different error code beep(s) then you will need to look at other hardware as a possible cause.

Troubleshooting a PC, don't you just love it?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Luron

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 08:15:06 pm »
Yeah I tried without the GPU. I unplugged almost everything except for the processor and the PSU...
Same beeps.

I'm getting a cheap GPU card (nVidia G210) on tuesday.

Troubleshooting a PC is fun when you got enough pieces for testing purposes!
But yeah, I'm kind of loving it, even if I'm in trouble because of it...

Thanks again for your help, I'll keep you posted.

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 07:28:22 pm »
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=15823.0

This post hasn't been updated in a while. Just posting it here since it is the same mobo. Was wondering if anybody else is have a similar issue. There is no graphical display on my monitor. Replaced the graphics card and still receiving the same beeps which appears to be 1 long and 2 short, but difficult to tell with the GA-870A-USB3 MB

Luron

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 11:55:02 am »
Nope... same problem with a brand new MSI nVidia G210 graphic card.

Motherboard ?

Luron

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 01:10:24 pm »
No processor : no beeps anymore. But no POST either. It makes sense I guess...

Luron

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 02:33:21 pm »
Ok. I bought the GA-970A-DS3P and put my Phenom II X6 1090T in it. No boot, no beep. When I unplugged the memory, I get my three short "memory alert" beeps.

The processor is dead, isn't it ?
Can you confirm me that ?

Time to go AMD FX I guess...

Luron

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 09:56:42 am »
Hi,

I've never concluded this topic. Sorry to bring it back, but I think it's good to tell how I solved my problem.

The cause of my system's breakdown was the memory sticks. The four of them went cold at the same time (!!). I couldn't have pictured such a failure. Something went wrong there, maybe some overload...

Well. Thanks for your help. It wasn't easy.

Last question: do you think I should worry about my system configuration? Motherboard, PSU, ...? Something must have gone nuts to fry things up like that.

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2016, 05:35:29 pm »
i had the Phenom II X6 1055T Black Edition @4.3ghz so in my mind Phenom II X6 was good and strong

but i had 890gpa-ud3h and when i took a look at GA-870A-UD3 the lack of heat sinks scares me.

now when i put cooler master gx 650w into google to see how old it could be and i saw a problem. in the google Searches related to cooler master gx 650w " was cooler master gx 650w problems "

now heat is a killer and typical store pc case type like say hp/dell you know close box, well under heavy load it can become a killing field for heat.

now what killed your pc I can't say.

what I can say is a good top of line big psu can outlast all the part in a new build and can be used in the next build.

always google the part you are thinking of buy with the word Problems behind it

Motherboard always look into if mb is still getting Support and updates. with zen coming to the market on a pony express am+ and Chipset are at the end of the line. now if it was not for a user and his bios on this forum my pc would be dead...  my new mb had right chipset,layout, 220w for cpu and realtek so I didn't look into support.  my bad.

so you found good mb with support, but will all the things you want to put on it fit? layout you need to look at.

9590 get hot so aio cooler is the way to go or a custom one, now I whent with fractal design kelvin s24 is almost too small with 2x 390x air cooled in case a s36 would have been better for me, but you can at to the loop on fractal design and olso to EK-XLC Predator R1.1 and later one for amd.