Official GIGABYTE Forum

One long beep when booting.

One long beep when booting.
« on: January 11, 2017, 12:48:52 pm »
When I boot my PC (Z77X UD3H + i7 2700K) I hear a long beep and then nothing, no short beeps followed. I've search everywhere and it doesn't say what type of error it is. I'm using DDR3 2133 RAM, so I thought that might be the problem. But disabling XMP profile and running the RAM at 1333 still gives me the long beep. I honestly wouldn't mind but every four or five days the computer fails to boot after a short beep, and it shows a bios screen with nothing written on it; then it reboots a couple of times, and finally boots with a long beep.

Any ideas?

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: One long beep when booting.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 01:41:41 pm »
What is it on when this beep is happening? Plus try one stick of memory at a time to see if you got a bad stick. Then once you have tested the memory then test the slots. If everything is fine in slot one. Then add one stick at time to see if you got a bad slot.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 03:23:08 pm »
What is it on when this beep is happening? Plus try one stick of memory at a time to see if you got a bad stick. Then once you have tested the memory then test the slots. If everything is fine in slot one. Then add one stick at time to see if you got a bad slot.

What's on? Well, 2 hard drives, 1 SSD, 980Ti, and a few USB devices. But I've tried booting just with 1 stick of RAM, and in different slots. Still get the long beep.

No idea man. Could it be USB related? I'm getting some random disconnects/connects with my USB 3.0 ports.

I tried flashing the latests Bios (f20e), didn't help.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 04:28:17 pm »
Try removing the video card and try to boot from the on board video. Try to disconnect the drives and see what happens.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 05:27:55 pm »
Try removing the video card and try to boot from the on board video. Try to disconnect the drives and see what happens.

Just tried that. Disconnected the 980Ti, all drives except SSD for OS, and all USB's. I only left 1 stick of RAM. And still had the long beep. I saw an error code this time. "04". But when rebooting it went away. Getting "AO" now. No idea man.

Might be the RAM, maybe the Motherboard sees the RAM as 2133 no matter what clocks and gives me the error?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBzZLZ-B5-8
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 05:41:43 pm by mrmarioman »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 08:33:51 pm »
AO on the display, indicates that the system has started correctly as does the beep (which is actually one short beep) in your video.

POST/BOOT issues with your rig could be due to many things, but the first thing to check would be your SSD('s).
How old are they?
What kind of memory chips they are using?
Also is the firmware on them, up-to-date?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 09:23:12 pm »
AO on the display, indicates that the system has started correctly as does the beep (which is actually one short beep) in your video.

POST/BOOT issues with your rig could be due to many things, but the first thing to check would be your SSD('s).
How old are they?
What kind of memory chips they are using?
Also is the firmware on them, up-to-date?

The SSD is new, it's a Samsung EVO 850. And the memory is also new, couple of months old. G.Skill F3-2133C9D-16GTX. The firmware on the SSD is up-to-date.

I'm pretty sure the 'beep' was shorter before. The one in the video is like a full second plus.
But as I said in my first post, it doesn't bother me much having a longer beep: the computer still boots and runs just fine. The problem is that once a week or so, the computer will boot with the normal short beep it did before --and fail. It will then go on a boot loop (two or three times) until it boots with a long-er beep. And that worries me.

I only have a small OC in the CPU (4.1Ghz) and the memory at 1866Mhz. I will now try to run the computer with no OC at all, and the memory down to 1600Mhz, and see if I still get a random boot loop.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 09:25:25 pm by mrmarioman »

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 01:14:05 pm »
Ok, so I figured out the problem with the long beep. I was seeing the '9C' code on the motherboards' screen when it was giving me the long beep. That is USB checking. But it wasnt a USB from the motherboard the problem, but the USB 2.0 from the case. I unpluggued my wireless mouse dongle, and it booted normally. :S But, could that explain the random boot loops I also get?