Official GIGABYTE Forum

Still got reboot loop issues with gigabyte UD35 X58?

Still got reboot loop issues with gigabyte UD35 X58?
« on: March 12, 2010, 12:17:50 am »
I sent my gigabyte UD3R x58 off to gigabyte in the uk as the board took a long time to boot up and would not save bios settings correctly. They said one of the pins was bent on the processor socket they did 2 test and concluded the board was fine. I got my motherboard back about 13 days ago. Now the board only booted for 3 seconds and would turn off and repeat the processor infinite. So i decided to start testing all my hardware in my friends core i7 rig. PSU was fine. Ram was fine. my processor didnt seem to boot in his machine. his processor booted fine on my board with my ram and my psu attached, so i though i have the culprit the processor. So i sent it off to scan they revealed to me 2 days ago the processor works fine and boots fine. im now clueless. Im going to test it in another friends pc to be doubly sure. I have read up on the UD3R and it seems this reboot loop is common on gigabyte boards. i pulled the battery out and shorted the CLR cmos with a screwdriver to no avail. ive not yet got my processor back. i took battery out last night and put a jumper on the CLR cmos as i have never tried that i have left the blocker on and will keep battery out till monday now. Im just not sure what the problems can be. Has to be the board.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Still got reboot loop issues with gigabyte UD35 X58?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 08:45:55 am »
Hi there,
constant reboots may not be caused by just the CPU or Mobo having faults but can be caused by many other factors. As you have had the Mobo tested and the CPU I think it is unlikely that they are the real cause of the problem. Here are a few other things that could cause it to happen:

A bad earth connection between Mobo and chassis
Memory timings/voltages
Graphics Card fault or Graphics card not seated properly or possibly another add-on card causing trouble.
Faulty HDD (s)

When you get everything back and you put it together again make sure that the Mobo is seated properly in the case and that there is nothing between the stand-offs and the board. Dont put any add-on cards in (except the graphics card) and use only one stick of RAM. Don't install the DVD/CD drive or hard-drive at this stage. See if the system boots.  If it doesn't swap the RAM stick with another one and try again.

If it does and you can get into bios, re-set bios to optimized defaults.

Then add other parts one at a time (I know this is a long and boring process) and reboot after each component is fitted until you find something that makes the system loop.

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 12:14:50 pm »
The thing is like i mentioned above i tested the motherboard outside of my case. with nothing else attached other than GFX ram and processor. If i take the GFX out it does the same reboot loop. if i try 1 stick of ram in each slot same thing. Like i also mentioned my friends core i7 C0 worked fine in my rig with my PSU GFX and ram boot straight up. my processor is also a c0 so i doubt the bios is an issue that gigabyte set it to when i had it repaired as any bios for the UD3R should support C0 chips as standard.

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 02:08:44 am »
Any resolution on this? I'm having the same problem with the same board. I tried everything mentioned, and more. Finally i decided to disable Intel Turbo Boost in the bios, which seems like it should be unrelated. I went two weeks without any spontaneous reboot. Then i re-enabled Turbo Boost and within a couple hours the machine rebooted out of nowhere (i wasn't even near the thing)
Disabled turbo boost again and have been up for a week.

Is there some known issue with this feature?

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 08:02:47 am »

Is there some known issue with this feature?

Well abelanger there seems to be now ;)
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB