Official GIGABYTE Forum

X58A-UD3R Boot Problem

X58A-UD3R Boot Problem
« on: February 28, 2011, 06:55:55 pm »
With this board i always seemed to have a problem booting. It takes about 4 reboots returning the message "Locating lost DRAM size" in order to successfully boot. Ive used this computer for about 2 weeks in this state before it finally ceasing to boot at all. When returning it to the company that sold it to me they informed me that there were some bent pins in the CPU socket that voided their warranty.

Would this be the cause to the original problem? As they are making me pay for return postage and the testing, without even doing anything to the board apart from testing the RAM and processor. And also, is there a way i can repair/replace the socket?

Thanks.

Tom.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 06:59:27 pm by Tommy93 »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: X58A-UD3R Boot Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 07:30:17 pm »
Hi Tom and welcome to the Gigabyte forum.

It is quite possible that bent pins would give you those symtoms. I would have asked you to test your memory first but it is one of the things we would have covered. Reailers do tend to take this attitude about bent pins. I can only suggest that you contact by PM our Administrator of the forum runn3R and see if he can arrange a RMA direct for you to the Gigabyte Service. He is very good and I think he will be able to help.

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?action=profile;u=13
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 07:33:59 pm »
Thanks for your reply, i will message him about this and see if he can help any further.

Thanks again.

Tom

Diablito

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 09:28:22 pm »
I had that "Locating lost DRAM size" issue for about 4 or 5 days. I called CyberPowerPC tech support and they suggested I remove all SIMMs and install only two. Then plug everything back in. (nothing really, I only had keyboard/mouse/monitor/power) The system started once again after I did this.

After thorough testing this board has serious memory issues though:

1. The default settings (aka AUTO) increase the possibility of failure when waking it up after letting it go to sleep for a few hours.
2.  It suffers from random and endless power cycle loops. It just keeps turning on and off without ever getting to POST. You'll see LEDs on in the MB or the case fan will go ON and OFF.
3.  The board will not resume from hibernation if USB 3.0 is enabled and driver is installed in Widows 7 x64.  You either have to turn off USB 3.0 in the bios or uninstall the driver for the board to resume from hibernation or powerloss during hybrid sleep.