« on: May 08, 2011, 11:55:28 pm »
Motherboard: GA-890GPA-UD3H
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600
CPU: AMD x6 1090T
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60
PSU: PC Power and Cooling Silencer 760W PPCS760
Video: HIS ATI 6870
Case: Antec Three Hundred
Accesories: 3 cooler master red case fans and Scythe Kaze Master fan controller, Asus 27" monitor

Here is what I am running into.  I have power coming in from the mother board to the H60, and the Kaze Master is working, but I get no video signal.  I have tried with the DVI and HDMI on the HIS 6870, and HDMI and DVI and VGA (D-Sub 15 pin) on the onboard with and without the HIS inside.  I have even removed the whole system from the case.  I set the ram in slot 1 and 3 and removed the 2 sticks and 1 stick in each.  I understand the AM3 has issues with any ram above 1333, so I am going to replace the ram today with some Corsair Vengence, I just wanted to see if anyone else has any other ideas?  right now the system is sitting on a cardboard box.  I love Gigabyte products, and will RMA if I have to, I just don't want to wait...

blackie

Re: GA-890GPA-UD3H, no boot
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 01:39:33 am »
Sadly I had the same problem you have (with a fairly close approximation of your system).

Sounds like you have tried the same series of things I did. I finally had to RMA the board. The second one went fine.

In looking at the reviews of this board at Newegg (where I purchased mine) I can only concluded that Gigabyte has quality issues with this board.

Never the less, the second board worked really well and I strongly recommend it.
GA-890GPA-UD3H Rev 2.1 (BIOS FF)
AMD X6 1090T o/c to 4.0 GHz - W Hyper 212 EVO cooler
Win 7 HP 64-bit SP1
(2) 4GB G.Skill PC12800 @ 1333 MHz
Corsair TX850 PS & 850D Case
OCZ Vertex 4 SSD & Hitachi HDT722525DLA380 250GB SATA HDs
ASUS GTX 560 TI (factory O/C'ed), Two 22" Monitors
LITE-ON iHAS42

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 08:45:20 am »
Hi there,

Your Ripjaws RAM would automatically default to 1333 MHz and I have to say I would agree with blackie on this one and you would probably do better if you RMA'd the motherboard rather than replaced the RAM at this stage.

As blackie has also said there does seem to be some issues with this board, in fact in January I asked Gigabyte if I could have a sample to test as I was concerned at the amount of posts that started about issues with this particular model. Sadly, Gigabyte didn't send me one to play with so maybe, that says it all..........???
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 05:15:29 pm »
Blackie and absic, thank you for your responses.  I was unable to pick up the ram yesterday as best buy only had value ram, so I just RMA'd the board, and will let you know how it goes.  I understand this happens, and I really like Gigabyte because they still include the firewire with the TI chipset, and this is a gaming/recording/homework computer, so the TI chipset is a plus for me.

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 04:13:56 pm »
So I got the new board yesterday and got it all installed and everything is working, though I did notice something odd.  When I put one of my sticks of memory in the 3 slot, it wouldn't boot.  So right now I have it in slot 1 and slot 2.  I tried setting the memory to ganged and it still wasn't booting.  It's fine for now because 8gb is all I have, but if I want to move up, I am not sure I will be able to utilize all 4 sticks.  Is there something I missed, or do you think maybe my replacement has a bad ram slot?  I didn't try it in slot 4.

Thanks for all the help.

-Jeremiah

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 04:21:14 pm »
Hi you should really be running your RAM in unganged mode. Check here for more details: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2515.0.html

What revision number is your Motherboard? This will make a difference to how the RAM modules should be installed and i fyou could post back with this information it would help.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 03:58:11 pm »
The RAM is in unganged mode after I placed it in slot 1 and slot 2.  But my rev number is 3.1 but would a different revision change where the manual says the ram will plug into?  This is my second computer build, and the first one I used all 4 slots right away, so this wasn't really an issue

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 04:16:51 pm »
Hi again,

Yes, the revision number of the motherboard does make a difference when it comes to installing memory. If your board is Rev 3.1 and you are running with RAM in slots DDR3_1 & DDR3_2 then you are currently running in Single Channel Mode rather than Dual Channel mode. (On earlier Revisions using this configuration you would have been running Dual Channel Mode!)

There are a couple of possible scenarios to account for your problem.

1) You have a faulty RAM Module - You need to test each stick individually in the 1st RAM slot on the motherboard using Memtest for at least 10 passes.

2) Your CPU has a faulty Memory controller - You can't really test for this very easily until you know that your RAM is OK but if you run Memtest and everything comes back fine then try putting one stick in slot DDR3_3 or DDR3_4. If your PC starts and runs with the RAM in either of these slots then your CPU is probably OK.

3) You have a faulty RAM slot on the motherboard - If you can get your system to BOOT with a single RAM module placed in any of the slots then your motherboard is probably OK and the problem lies elsewhere. If you try this and the PC fails to BOOT when the RAM is in one of the slots then you probably have a faulty motherboard and will need to RMA it.