Official GIGABYTE Forum

gtx460 oc crashing in desktop mode all the time (brand new system)

Hi fellas,

i just built a new system - and my evga gtx460 lasted about 48h and then went dead.
So i rmad it and bought a Gigabyte gtx460OC instead.
Worked superb the first 24 hours with the latest nvidia drivers for win7 64bit.
After those 24h the card started with one of those problems that many users have with grafic cards on AMD/ATI and Nvidia.
the windows system tray pop up a little message telling that the grafikcard-driver had to be restarted.
I did not have that problem with the EVGA card (died doing purple sploshes all over the screen).

To your info i have
-gigabyte ga 890gpa mainboard rev 2.1 with the latest BIOS
-creative fatality soundcard
-1 samsung HDD
-1 corsair 650W powerplant
-2x4gb Gskill ram
-AMD phenom x6 1100t

no overclocking at all.my cpu temps at idle are about 35°!C.

i saw the graficcard has 2 power inputs on the card itself.iam going there with a harness from my Corsair that splits in Y.Is that any problem?
i will try the drivers that came with the CD.but i assume its eiter a faulty card again or a windows problem...

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: gtx460 oc crashing in desktop mode all the time (brand new system)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 03:31:08 pm »
Hi and welcome to the Gigabyte Forum.

I can't say with any assurity what is causing the problem but there are several things to do to help eliminate the usual factors.

Do an extended clear of the CMOS. see below.

Make sure that you are using the latest BIOS for the motherboard and are running the Optimised BIOS Defaults.

See if there is a more up to date firmware file for the graphics card.

Ideally it is not the best scenario to be powering both sockets from one line so if it is possible to split the power input then it would be worth trying.

To clear the BIOS properly follow these instructions:

Remove the power cable from the mains supply and then press the power switch on the case for a few seconds just to drain any residual energy in the PSU capacitors.

Once done remove the motherboard battery for at least one hour before replacing it.

Next plug back into the mains supply and boot.

You will now need to enter the BIOS by pressing DEL and load Optimised BIOS Defaults.

Make any other changes to the BIOS settings to suit your self like disabling the floppy drive, disabling the full screen logo and making the HDD the primary boot device and then press F10 to save and exit.

Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 10:54:01 pm »
Hi Mantis thanks for following.

i connected 2 single pcie power cables from my psu to the grafic card now and it still crashed and restored the driver 2ce.
so this seems not to be the problem.
then i reseated the grafic card and the ram + i downloaded the patch that gigabyte released saying "fixing OC issue" whatever crap that means.
seems the infos on upgrades,bios and patches arent worth more words - just let the enduser struggle more..

so after that update i had no crashes since that.
iam an experienced user so i tell myself - that problem might still be here.

so i ran 2 times the 3d mark basic (just a couple 3D trailers and tests) and all worked fine.

then i installed the latest nvidia drivers without vision3d and still no problems for hours.

i even overclocked my gpu with the gigabyte easyboost - no problems.

Thanks for the tip to resett my Bios - i know exactly how it woks.Iam one of the guys who actually read the manual (and had a gigabyte board before).
But i skipped that part.Because all i changed to the bios was
-turbo mode active for cpu
-ram on 7-7-7-21 as it says on my gskills
-onboard audio off
-igx - onboard grafics off
-1.44"disk off
-boot priority all off except harddrive No1.

thats it.No voltage change no overclocking no nothing.

so if it wasnt the patch...or the reseating of ram and grafic..i bet i get another driver crash of the graficcard very soon...

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 08:00:32 pm »
Hi

Good news anyway and don't forget that sometimes the CMOS can have old settings from when the board was factory tested and these really need cleaning off first.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB