Official GIGABYTE Forum

touchBIOS problems..

FoLmEr

touchBIOS problems..
« on: August 13, 2011, 02:18:11 am »
Hi

First off, let me say that I think touchBIOS is a great idea. BIOS access from windows is cool, but it has never worked correctly on my system.

Firstly, I installed the version released just yesterday (12/8), hoping the problems were fixed. They weren't, and actually some other part of the program broke.

The problems I'm having rigt now are:
The use of touchBIOS messes with my system clock! After a save and reboot I can find my clock having been set back several minutes. VERY annoying, and defeats the purpose of touchBIOS if you have to go into the BIOS to manually set the time correctly afterwards.
M.I.T current status shows no frequencies or temperatures (broke in the new update 12/8. "picln.exe" just starts and closes)

The previous versions have been far worse with unhandled exceptions littered randomly throughout the application; I have yet to have it crash on me in the new version tho.

I have to say tho... TWO bios versions (F7+F8) reading "Support touchBIOS", unhandled exceptions.,"TODO" in file description and other places of picln.exe, in previous versions picln.exe looped consuming one core of full processer cycles, the clock issue, parts of the program breaking after updating... This piece of software wasn't REALLY meant to be released this early, was it?

Oh, and the update 12/8 wasn't available from within the program's auto-update feature, and neither on my localized DK gigabyte site; only on the EU site, which I discovered by accident really.

Are the developers aware of these problems? Am I doing something wrong by any chance?

My system: GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 (BIOS F8), 2600K. All drivers updated, Win7 x64 ultimate

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: touchBIOS problems..
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 08:59:19 am »
It is often the way with new applications like Touch BIOS that there are one problem after another for a while until they all get sorted out.

The use of touchBIOS messes with my system clock! After a save and reboot I can find my clock having been set back several minutes. VERY annoying, and defeats the purpose of touchBIOS if you have to go into the BIOS to manually set the time correctly afterwards.

I think what is happening here is that when you start the Touch BIOS it interfers with the system clock and so if you take five minutes playing around with settings you will find that the time is now five minutews slow when you check back.

Please feel free to make the developers aware of these issues though by contacting GGTS:

Just enter your email address and click on the language of choice.
GGTS   http://ggts.gigabyte.com/

Please expect several days for a reply.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

FoLmEr

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 09:31:29 am »
Yes, I am aware that new applications have bugs, I'm just surprised how severe they have been with the user experience being close to awful. And seeing as that is the sole purpose of the program - namely making BIOS editing a pleasant experience - it does break my heart a little bit.

Anyway, I think it's very likely you're right about the clock thing. And I've made GIGABYTE aware of the problems as you suggested.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 10:02:45 am »
I agree that it is a shame that the program was released before it was really ready. Isn't it often the way, they rush things out of the door and then spend ages putting them right.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB