GA-Z68X-UD3-B3 Memory Speed changes using AHCI & SSD

darren

GA-Z68X-UD3-B3 Memory Speed changes using AHCI & SSD
« on: March 15, 2012, 11:33:46 am »
My spec:

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3-B3 Intel Z68
Intel i7 2700k
OCZ VERTEX 3 120GB 2.5" SATA-III SSD
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz (2x 4GB)
GeForce GTX 560Ti 448 1280MB
Windows 7 64bit Ultimate

I, somewhat naively, installed Windows onto my SSD in IDE mode. I applied the well documented registry hack (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976) before rebooting and changing to AHCI in the BIOS.

When the system rebooted, the BIOS displayed the following message:

The system has experienced boot failures because of overclocking or changes of voltages.

Last settings in BIOS setup may not coincide with current H/W states.

Current CPU Speed: 3.60Ghz
Current BCLK: 100Mhz
Current Memory Speed: 1333Mhz

Pressing continue does allow me to boot into Windows, where it then installs the AHCI driver without any issues.

Rebooting after this does not show the BIOS message above, but my memory speed does stay at 1333Mhz rather than the 1600Mhz that it should be, as was before I changed to AHCI.

I'm not overclocking anything and the only thing I have ever changed in the BIOS has been the logo display, boot order and obviously AHCI.

I've tried resetting the BIOS to 'Optimal Settings' keeping the changes mentioned above but the memory speed stays at 1333Mhz.

I again, tried resetting the BIOS to 'Optimal Settings' this time keeping IDE, and the BIOS reported the full 1600Mhz memory speed during POST, but as expected this caused an issue with being able to boot into Windows.

Can anyone shed any light on why my memory speed changes when using AHCI? Thanks.

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
Re: GA-Z68X-UD3-B3 Memory Speed changes using AHCI & SSD
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 12:34:54 pm »
Please update to the latest BIOS using Qflash or DOS (Latest is F12), then load optimized and save/apply/reboot BACK to the BIOS.  Once in the BIOS again set your SATA setting and memory voltage, ect any other changes you need, then load windows and shut down from there.
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3852#bios

Then reboot and flash the backup BIOS to match the main BIOS, using this guide, you may need to use PS/2 KB or USB to PS/2 adapter
http://gigabytedaily.blogspot.com/2011/02/video-guide-how-to-update-your-backup.html

darren

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 03:24:00 pm »
Thanks for your response.

I upgraded from F11 to F12, which resulted in the memory speed staying at 1333Mhz in either AHCI or IDE modes.

I've changed the speed manually in the BIOS and everything seems ok - it's now running at 1600Mhz with AHCI.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 07:48:45 pm »
If you now have it running as you want it and the memory speed problem has been sorted I would suggest that you now synchronise the two BIOS versions.

From a cold start with the power to the machine switched off press the power button and then enter the BIOS by pressing Del. Then when you get to the main screen press F9. This will bring up an extra screen which will display more information about the two BIOS versions. Assuming they are different exit the BIOS and shutdown. Again press the power button and this time press Alt + F12 where you would normally use the Del key to enter the BIOS. You will find that then your monitor will turn black and you will see:

Press [Enter] to start copying main BIOS to backup BIOS...

When you press Enter more text will appear saying:

Writing BIOS image.... xxxKb OK

Once completed  more text will show:

BIOS successfully recovered! Power off or reset system!

Do as it says. Both Main and Backup BIOS chips now store the same BIOS version. You can now reboot as normal.

When you copy the first BIOS image to the second BIOS it also copies the current configuration
 so if you use RAID or something, set it before the copy.  It also copies over any saved profiles too.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 08:37:32 am by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 07:12:01 am »
Great to hear you got the memory / AHCI issue sorted out!

I agree with Dark Mantis, the above is advised for all P67 / Z68 users, with each sequential BIOS update that you do, you should also update the backup BIOS to match