Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X58A-UD3R Rev. 2: Win 7 x64 clean install on Seagate 3TB with EFI and GPT?

Hi guys,

I'm having trouble being able to clean install Win 7 x64 on my all new Seagate 3TB HDD (7200.14 version). During install, Windows says that it can't install Win 7 x64 on the drive as it is a GPT partition.

However, I know that it needs to be a GPT partitioned drive to allow for 3TB drives and I had it GPT'ed in Windows 7's Disk Management programme (in my incumbent Win 7 x64 system in which another smaller drive is the boot drive). Also, the drive is recognized as a 3TB in both my incumbent Win 7 x64 system and when I see it in the bios.

I've set the Gigabyte bios (latest FH version) to 'EFI' and from what I understand, that should do it, right? But it doesn't help :-/

Would I need to load the latest Marvell drivers for the Marvell controller via the 'load' option during Win 7 install? Or howcome it says that it can't install Win 7 x64 on a GPT drive when I obviously switched EFI on in bios? (mobo is also set to AHCI at the Marvell controller)

Perhaps I should try it on one of the other controllers? I'd just like to use the Marvell as that's 6 GB/s (like the HDD) while the others are simply 3 GB/s.

Hope you can help,

Regards,
Ncikusa