Official GIGABYTE Forum

BIOS GA-P55-UD6 F6 RAID does not support Blu-Ray!

Mark

BIOS GA-P55-UD6 F6 RAID does not support Blu-Ray!
« on: December 16, 2009, 01:19:25 pm »
I installed BIOS F6 yesterday and loaded optimized defaults.  At that point, I could boot from the MemTest+ CD in my Blu-Ray drive, which was attached to the SATA (6-channel) controller.  In the POST screen the Blu-Ray drive was listed on IDE Channel 2 Master.

Then I enabled XHD (eXtreme Hard Disk) and rebooted.

The Blu-Ray drive was not listed at all.

As the RAID display appeared, it saw "Pioneer CD Blu-Ray", but did not list it as a physical device after I hit ^I.

I let the boot go through into Setup and nothing was listed on IDE channel 2 master.

The POST finished and I got

Loading Operating System...
Boot from CD-ROM...

And the system hung there.  Repeatably.  After five minutes of hang time I disabled XHD and everything went back to normal.

The RAID controller POST screen says "This version only supports hard disk and CDROM drives" -- knowing the language barrier I'd be grateful if someone could point out if this indeed means that DVD and Blu-Ray drives are NOT supported in RAID mode.

Thank you.

Mark

« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 01:27:35 pm by Mark »

Pottypete

Re: BIOS GA-P55-UD6 F6 RAID does not support Blu-Ray!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 10:13:36 pm »
Have you got the latest raid drivers,
Are there any Pioneer CD Blu-Ray firmware updates available,
Can only assume O/S is win 7!!!
cheers

Mark

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 12:49:57 am »
I guess I wasn't clear enough.

I have the latest BIOS.

All of this happens before ANY OS gets booted.  The CD doesn't even start spinning.

You can assume anything you want about the OS.  It didn't get that far.

I have the latest BIOS.

All of this happens before ANY OS gets booted.  The CD doesn't even start spinning.

I have the latest BIOS.

cheers
cheers
cheers

Pottypete

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 03:51:44 pm »
Hi,Mark
OK
OK
OK
Contact tech support then!
Cheers
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 03:53:44 pm by Pottypete »

Beekeeper

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 08:27:28 pm »
it happened to me that once i had optical drive on raid array then it was only visible under windows, not on boot screen
(but it was different mobo, but it's the same situation like yours as after you enabled xhd(=raid) then blu-ray disappeared)
“Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.”

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 04:37:13 am »
I installed BIOS F6 yesterday and loaded optimized defaults.  At that point, I could boot from the MemTest+ CD in my Blu-Ray drive, which was attached to the SATA (6-channel) controller.  In the POST screen the Blu-Ray drive was listed on IDE Channel 2 Master.

Then I enabled XHD (eXtreme Hard Disk) and rebooted.

The Blu-Ray drive was not listed at all.

As the RAID display appeared, it saw "Pioneer CD Blu-Ray", but did not list it as a physical device after I hit ^I.

I let the boot go through into Setup and nothing was listed on IDE channel 2 master.

The POST finished and I got

Loading Operating System...
Boot from CD-ROM...

And the system hung there.  Repeatably.  After five minutes of hang time I disabled XHD and everything went back to normal.

The RAID controller POST screen says "This version only supports hard disk and CDROM drives" -- knowing the language barrier I'd be grateful if someone could point out if this indeed means that DVD and Blu-Ray drives are NOT supported in RAID mode.

Thank you.

Mark

Is there any point in enabling xhd, what exactly does it do?  You can just setup the RAID array in the RAID bios setup, on my GA-x58-ud5 and GA-p55-ud4p they support blu-ray disks just fine and both are on the same controller my raid arrays are on. ich10r and PCH controllers if I remember right.