Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte X58A-OC will only boot at 4ghz will not allow me to change settings

Hi,

Just replaced my dead X58a-UD3 with an X58A-OC, as it was actually one of the best buys around for an X58 board.

Upon first boot, machine automatically set itself up at 4ghz,  wow,  semi sentient board I thought.

Initial settings were 20x200 and set my ram at 1600mhz

All very nice I thought, have run several hours of tests and its rock solid.   So, time to crank it up I thought,

First thing of course is to change that multiplier to 21 (my chip is Core7 930 so 21 is the default).    Saved my settings, rebooted, and its not changed, stuck at 20.   Hmm,  so I tried changing the BCLK from 200 to 201, nope locked at 200.

Ok, so i did a optimised defaults in bios, tried to reboot, and it failed to reboot, and then reset itself to 4ghz settings (which seem to be the Failsafe options).

So I went in and manually changed lots of stuff to force it to run at 21x133 BCLK with ram at 1600mhz,   all the voltages set to more than adequate  (i'm very well versed in overclocking these boards so I know good settings from bad), again pc failed part way thru boot up and reverted to 4ghz settings.
I then flashed the bios from F3 to F5b, and this made no difference.

Any ideas appreciated - am I missing a blatantly obvious option on this board???

I am kind of impressed that the default failsafe boot is at 4ghz so at least its is a little bit tasty :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 06:10:00 pm by malphadour »
Gigabyte X58A-OC
Intel Core i7 930
6GB Mushkin Redline 1600 mhz 6-8-6-24
Kingston V100 SSD
Seagate 500gb 7200 rpm
Ati Radeon 6950
240mm Black Ice RAD with XSPC Rasa block

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Hi

Sounds like a bit of a funny one this. I think it would be worth doing an extended CMOS clear for a start. Please follow these instructions to do it.

Remove the power cable from the mains supply and then press the power switch on the case for a few seconds just to drain any residual energy in the PSU capacitors.

Once done remove the motherboard battery for at least a couple of hours before replacing it.

Next plug back into the mains supply and boot.

You will now need to enter the BIOS by pressing DEL and load Optimised BIOS Defaults.

Make any other changes to the BIOS settings to suit your self like disabling the floppy drive, disabling the full screen logo and making the HDD the primary boot device and then press F10 to save and exit.

Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Hi,

If your mobo automatically overclocked you PC to 4GHz its because the 4G button on the board has been pressed.

And as long as this is pressed, you mobo will always set itself to 4GHz everytime it boots.

Press the button on the board so the light goes out and try set you multiplier again.