Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z77X-UD5H: No Boot

GA-Z77X-UD5H: No Boot
« on: May 05, 2013, 07:44:40 pm »
I have just finished installing my GA-Z77X-UD5H(rev. 1.1) motherboard for the first time and my system will not power on.  With only the motherboard, processor, memory, and processor fan active, the system attempts to boot from the primary UEFI (displaying code 15 on the internal display), fails, then attempts two boots from the backup UEFI.  With no other components installed, the monitor (while connected to the motherboard's video ports) displays nothing during these boot cycles.

If I add my GPU to the motherboard, I am able to see the UEFI/bios splash screen on the third reboot and can press DELETE to attempt to enter the UEFI/BIOS Configuration tool, but a reboot takes place before any information is displayed or available. 

Here's the activity I am experiencing with my processor, memory, GPU, and CPU fan active:
First Boot
Non-stop beeping. 
The digital display on the motherboard never moved past code 15
No monitor activity.
CPU fan never spins up.
Second Boot
No beeping. 
The digital display on the motherboard stopped at 72
No monitor activity.
CPU fan never spins up.
Third Boot
Single beep.
The digital display on the motherboard stopped at db
The monitor was displaying activity.  After the splash screen appeared, I pressed delete to enter UEFI/BIOS Utility.  The screen changes as if I am going into the UEFI Configuration tool, but the system restarts before I can see any information or make any changes.
CPU span spins up at roughly the same time the UEFI/BIOS splash screen is displayed.

Then the process restarts.

The manual lists the following:
Code 15 is "Pre-memory North-Bridge initialization is started."
Code 72 is "PCH devices initialization."
Code db is "Flash update is failed."

I am unable to boot into the UEFI configuration screen and resetting the CMOS (either via pressing the CMOS_SW button on the motherboard or by pulling the battery from the motherboard) do not seem to clear the errors.

I have pulled out the processor and examined the indents on the pads on the bottom of the processor and there do not appear to be any bent pins.  But I may not be performing the proper evaluation (or worse, poor eyesight on my part).

System Specs:
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UD5H(rev. 1.1)
Processor: Intel Core-i5 3350P Quad-Core Processor 3.1 Ghz 6 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80637i53350P
Memory: 4x 8Gb - DDR3 PC3-12800 - 9-9-9-24 from Crucial (Part Number BLS4KIT8G3D1609DS1S00)
Power Suppy: Antec HCG-900, 900 Watt Power Supply
GPU: PNY VCGGTX670XPB GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5

My Questions:
Am I missing anything? 
Could it be the memory or the processor (the processor does require a certain firmware from 08/2012 (F13) to be compatible, and I can't tell if my version is at least F13)?
Does the db code indicate that my UEFI chips on the Motherboard are bad to begin with?

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: GA-Z77X-UD5H: No Boot
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 01:36:56 pm »
One thing you can try is put in a older video card and see if it will boot. If does boot than you can check the bios version.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Rayj00

Re: GA-Z77X-UD5H: No Boot
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 06:23:03 pm »
I just completed my first ever t ry at building my own. I have the UD5H and i7 3770k.

It's best to try to bring it up with the least amount of peripherals first.  I started with a single SSD and 16gis\gs of ram.
The first problem I had was I had to delete the  existing partitions on the SSD.  After that it worked like a charm.The I added
another 16 gigs of ram.  No problem.

I suggest removing anything the system does not need before you power it up.

Regards,

Ray