Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte says use @bios always instead of Qflash

wbear

Gigabyte says use @bios always instead of Qflash
« on: May 15, 2013, 01:57:28 am »
Thought I would share this since it goes against everything I learned on this board.

Talked to tech at Gigabyte and he suggested I go back one bios which is also one of the large sized ones. I said ok thats great I can use Qflash now to do the reflash. He said why would I want to do that. I explained how risky @bios is and how many have bricked their motherboards. He said it's amazing how much misinformation there is on the net. He said @bios is a superior program as long as you don't use the get bios from the internet feature. He stated the main benefit is that if something is wrong during the flash it will notify and you can back out. With Qflash once the process is started and it's a bad flash it loads it. I asked if that was just company talking points and he replied thats what he uses on his personal machines  ???

Fatman

Re: Gigabyte says use @bios always instead of Qflash
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 11:51:04 am »
I think the @bios is much better than it used to be and I would use it for sure!

Gloup_Gloup

• Let us sweet between members, on the forum.
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 11:17:57 am »
Hi all,

In case of doubt, it is better to use QFlash.

By experience and through the readings on the forum, it was often said that the use of @ BIOS caused damage.

So used QFlash is not a suggestion. It is imperative.

Rare exceptions:
Some BIOS updates have to be made using @BIOS especially if the update is a larger file size than the BIOS already installed.

Thank you to absic.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 02:23:31 pm by Gloup_Gloup »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 12:35:27 pm »
OK, just to add my two pennyworth to the debate:

QFlash is the safest way to update BIOS as it is done directly through the BIOS without the added layer of the OS which can cause issues when using @BIOS.

@BIOS is an acceptable way to update the BIOS but has been known, on rare occasions, to go wrong and cause the update to fail leaving users with a dead motherboard.

Some BIOS updates have to be made using @BIOS especially if the update is a larger file size than the BIOS already installed.

If you are using @BIOS it is safer to download the BIOS file, that you wish to update to, from the download page for your motherboard and use that, rather than use the automated method employed by @BIOS as sometimes, the latest version of BIOS isn't available to download from the Gigabyte servers.

Both methods carry some risk when updating BIOS and both are perfectly acceptable but remember the old caveat: "You don't need to update just because there is a newer version."

If everything is working OK with your system you really don't need to update the BIOS at all.

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Gloup_Gloup

• Let us sweet between members, on the forum.
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 06:31:36 pm »
Hi all,  :P

I find more infos about @BIOS....

For general situation.

And specifically for X79 Chipset motherboards.

http://www.gigabyte.com/MicroSite/121/tech_a_bios.htm