Official GIGABYTE Forum

Issues with H61M series motherboards and AHCI reverting to IDE.

Hi team,

I work for an IT company who sell's nothing but gigabyte boards in all of our systems.

We have recently run into an issue with the H61M line of boards from Gigabyte.

A few weeks after the sale of the PC's the client will bring it back in with the system not booting to windows.  All our systems run windows 7 64 bit with all updates and latest drivers/bios revisions and have near identical hardware, They are all configured with AHCI prior to installation of windows.  The resolution to the issue is always the same.  PC blue screens on boot.  Boot to Bios.  Checked advanced configuration.  Sata mode has reverted to IDE.  Put it back to AHCI and the PC boots normally once again. 

Now that would be well and good if the issue was resolved so simply.  Within 3 weeks on average, The PC will return with the exact same issue and we are forced to RA the board to our supplier.  We are now receiving B75 series boards back from RA as a resolution to the issue.  We have sent back more then 10 H61M series boards with identical faults and recieved the B75 series in return.

Up until this week, This has been an effective resolution to our problem.  As of today we have seen one of the B75 series boards effected by this same fault (specifically GA-B75M-D3V Rev 2.0 with latest bios) and our supplier would like it sent back for RA.  Has anybody got any information on what the cause of this issue is in detail and/or what can be done to permanently resolve the issue without constantly sending back motherboards for RA?

Thanks,

Tech
Customline Computer Services

Re: Issues with H61M series motherboards and AHCI reverting to IDE.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 11:01:20 pm »
Hi,

I have the same problem with a computer I build for a friend. The motherboard is a GA-B75M-D3V.
The last time flashed the BIOS with the newest version. A couple weeks later the same problem occured. I noticed the old bios was back again, so the DUAL BIOS must have been activated.
I reflashed the newer bios and set the SATA port to AHCI. After that I flashed the Backup bios to the newest version (it copies it from the main BIOS). You can do this by pressing ALT-F10 when booting.
I manually activated the DUAL BIOS and the ports were still AHCI. So I hope this helped. Will see it in a couple of weeks.

Jimmy