Official GIGABYTE Forum

USB3 Ports on GIGABYTE Z87X-UD5H

USB3 Ports on GIGABYTE Z87X-UD5H
« on: August 02, 2013, 11:32:33 am »
I have a Z87X-UD5H mobo, and a Corsair 650D case which has 2 front USB3 sockets, inside the case there is 2 USB3 cables that come from these front sockets that you can thread through the case and plug into 2 USB3 sockets on the rear I/O panel of the mobo (a shoddy work around i know), so i decided to get get a USB 3.0 Internal motherboard header adapter ( http://www.scan.co.uk/products/15cm-akasa-usb-30-cable-header-to-2x-type-a-%28female%29 ) so i could connect these 2 front USB3 sockets up to the USB3 socket on the mobo. These front 2 USB3 ports and 2 USB3 ports on the rear of the mobo (next to the PS/2 connections for keyboard and mouse) refuse to work in USB3 mode and give the windows message, 'This device can perform faster when connected to super fast port......' despite having installed the USB3 drivers that are on the CD that came with the mobo and these sockets actually being USB3 sockets (blue in colour)

I have notice a few options in the BIOS which i think relate to the USB2 and 3 sockets but do not seem to offer a solution. These options being:

XHCI Mode
XHCI Hand-Off
EHCI Hand-Off

From default settings XHIC Mode is set to 'Smart Auto', XHCI Hand-Off is set to 'Enabled', and EHCI Hand-Off to 'Disabled'

From my understanding EHCI is best left as disabled as any OS after Windows XP has the EHCI built into the OS so is not needed, but im not sure if Windows 7 64 Bit (my OS) has XHCI built in or not, so not sure if this XHCI Hand-Off should be enabled or disabled?

I have tried an number of configurations of these 3 BIOS settings, and the only one that doesnt seem to give me the message in windows when i plug a USB3 device in that 'This device can perform faster when connected to super fast port...' is if i set XHCI Mode to 'Disabled'. If i have XHCI Mode set to 'disabled' would this disable all USB3 sockets altogether?, i think it would but if i plug in a USB3 device to the front USB3 ports on the case i no longer get the 'This device can perform faster when connected to super fast port...', so if would seem that the port is actually working in USB3 mode otherwise i would still get the warning message?

Does anyone have any experience with this at all??

Re: USB3 Ports on GIGABYTE Z87X-UD5H
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 05:21:19 pm »
Can anyone help?

MurTel

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 04:49:32 am »
Did you ever figure out a solution.  I basically have the same problem with my Z87x-D3H MotherBoard. 
Thanks

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 06:18:11 am »
What board rev do you have? 1.0 or 1.1
What BIOS rev?
Do you have the latest intel chipset drivers installed?
Do you have the Renesas 3.0 chipset drivers installed?
Do you have the Gigabyte USB Blocker Utility installed? See page 101 of your user guide

Suggest
XHCI Mode: Disabled
XHCI Hand off: Enabled
EHCI Hand Off: Disabled

Why?  To my knowledge, only windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 ship with Microsoft generic xHCI drivers.  Windows 7, Vista and older operating systems do not have the Microsoft generic xHCI driver.  So 7 relies on 3rd party drivers.  Intel chipset and Renesas.

If you use 8, XHCI is supported natively and Smart-Auto can be used in BIOS.  This is my understanding.  So in the end the questions above probably don't matter as long as you've got your drivers covered.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 06:24:38 am by shadowsports »
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

gibxxi

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 03:35:37 am »
Setting XHCI mode to "Disabled" will do just that, disable USB 3.0 support across the board. All connected ports/devices will then operate at USB 2.0 standard regardless.

I must agree on the fact that the documentation provided regarding these settings (User Manual) is somewhat hard to understand. Gigabyte ought to invest in employing a native English speaker to write their English User manuals and BIOS descriptions instead of relying on the usual "Engrish" we see, that would help remove a lot of the confusion when it comes down to these settings.

The 2 USB 2.0 motherboard headers are shared with one of the onboard USB 3.0 headers, so having devices installed in those headers will steal bandwidth from your USB 3.0 ports and/or force them to run in USB 2.0 mode.

The Z87X-UD5H only supports USB 3.0 ports directly to the Intel chipset on one of the Internal USB 3.0 headers (Most likely the one labelled red on/off charge). ALL the remaining USB 3.0 functionality is provided by the 2x Renesas hubs present on the board, which also provide the additional USB 2.0 headers onboard, and possibly some of the back panel I/O USB 2.0/3.0 ports AFAIK.

Be aware, the Renesas chips are HUB CHIPS, as stated, and act much like any other standard USB hub. No drivers are required or available for these hub chips, and the Renesas drivers that are on the CD and the Gigabyte website are not for this board. Gigabyte tend to use one CD design for multiple boards, hence the reason you often get drivers bundled that are not applicable, something else they could improve upon.

Since some of the back panel USB 2.0 ports and the onboard headers, AND the back panel USB 3.0 ports are shared via the same hub and it's not really clear what is shared with what, it's extremely likely that if you have a lot of USB 2.0/1.1 devices, your going to run into bandwidth sharing issues with anything USB 3.0.

Add to this the convoluted modes present in the BIOS, and it's an even bigger mess.

Smart Auto, attempts to preserve the settings that were used in the previous boot, and assign those ports that are dual USB 3.0/2.0 (Probably Renesas hub provided ports) to the correct standard depending on the connected devices that were present on the last boot. That is the way I understand this.

Auto seems to check for devices and assign the switchable USB 2.0/3.0 mode to whatever it thinks is applicable during the CURRENT boot.

The remaining settings simply force the ports into the desired operating mode.

There is however a bigger issue. It seems that even on the 2x USB 3.0 ports that come direct from the chipset there is a high likelyhood of bandwidth / connectivity issues on this board. For example, I have an Akasa Baymaster, and the USB 3.0 Baymaster S. The Baymaster S suffers constant disconnect issues when a high speed transfer to an inserted 2.5" HDD is started. The older USB 2.0 Baymaster functions without issue, albeit at slower speeds. The built-in card reader is USB 2.0 in both models. Both motherboad USB 3.0 headers cause this issue. Being the only USB 3.0 device I have, I removed the Baymaster S and installed the USB 2.0 version in it's place. I've basically given up on USB 3.0 support on this board until Intel can provide some reliable USB 3.0 Drivers, and I can make some sense of what is shared with what.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 03:36:51 am by gibxxi »

wbear

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 10:36:44 pm »
I have had my Z87X-UD5H for about a year now and have had extensive conversations with Gigabyte about it, especially USB ports. Here is what I have discovered.

The 2 USB 2.0 motherboard headers do not share a connection to the chipset with one of the onboard USB 3.0 headers. Each type has their own path to the chipset so each can deliver full bandwidth at the same time.

If we use the term share loosely we could say all of the 14 usb ports share, and they do, thru the chipset. However only the ports/headers connected to the chipset thru one of the 2 Renesas hubs would have less than full bandwidth when connected at the same time. The chipset has the capability to supply multiple usb devices full bandwidth at the same time just not thru a hub. 

Here is an e-mail describing the usb3 connection sharing from Gigabyte:

"I checked with our engineer team,  I was told that only the F_USB30_2 is directly through the chipset, the rest are with hubs.

The two USB 3.0 ports next to the PS2 connector share one hub with the F_USB30_1 (red one)

The 4 USB 3.0 ports near each other by the two LAN ports share with the other hub."

So, I if you must have full usb 3 bandwidth at the same time you can connect 2 devices to the internal F_USB30_2 header and 1 device to either the internal F_USB30_1 header or one of the ports by the PS2 connector and 1 device to one of the 4 ports by the Lan ports on the back panel. That would let a person run a max of 4 usb 3 devices at full bandwidth at the same time with out adding any usb 3 card to the board. My speed tests have show this to be true. That should be enough capability for most people.

The "This device can perform faster when connected to super fast port" message does not guarantee the device is not actually performing at USB3 speeds. Measure the speed yourself to be sure. You should get real usb3 speeds between 75 MB/s and 130 MB/s depending on what the device is and what you are transferring.

I personally have not had any problems with USB3 issues on this board, maybe I'm lucky. IMO there are, for lack of a better term "flaky" devices out there that are causing problems while other devices are not. Good luck.