Official GIGABYTE Forum

New build won't boot up properly (GA-Z87X-UD3H)

Toby B

New build won't boot up properly (GA-Z87X-UD3H)
« on: July 10, 2014, 01:08:54 pm »
Hi guys,
I have put together a new build PC but it won't boot up. It just goes through a cycle: The power light on the outside of the case comes on, and then goes off... as two lights in the middle of the motherboard do the same.

A circular power light on the motherboard stays on the whole time.
My first attempt had no fans spinning at all.

I then moved the white CPU fan plug from the white socket "CPU_FAN" to the black socket next to it called "CPU_OPT".
I then plugged the black plug connected to the rear case fan into SYS_FAN1.

This time the CPU cooler fan spins, but only in pulses at about the same time intervals as before. No consistent running just yet.
The led lights in the middle of the mobo still go through the same dance as before.

I thought I had followed all the instruction manuals correctly.
I have no idea why it won't start.  :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading

Video: http://youtu.be/ZRkWM-lqtiE
Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H

ex58

Re: New build won't boot up properly (GA-Z87X-UD3H)
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 01:36:10 pm »
List your full hardware spec. first.

I saw some memory slots empty..?.....(or wrongly installed)......should be 2 grey OR 2 black slots.
CPU power ATX socket connected?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 01:42:06 pm by ex58 »

Toby B

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 03:42:26 pm »
Thanks for replying. Here is my spec:

Motherboard: GA-Z87X-UD3H
CPU: Intel i7 4770k Haswell
CPU Cooler: Fan that came with i7 (see above)
RAM: 1 x Corsair Venegeance, 1600 MHz, DDR3, 8GB
Power: Corsair RM650
Hard drive: Samsung SSD, 120 GB
Optical drive: Standard 3.5" DVD Writer/Player
Case: CiT Vantage Midi Tower, GC (Gaming Case)

My 1 RAM stick is inserted into slot 1, which is closest to the edge of the board.

The manual gives instructions for how to insert 2 RAM sticks properly, but never says you should never insert just 1.
[See screengrab of page 16 attached]

I have 1 large (long rectangular) power cable going from the PSU to the board.

Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 12:37:26 pm »
Make sure both 4/8pin 12V_ATX and 20/24pin power connector are connected.
I assume your RAM is supported ? but just make sure by giving the module number from the stickers on the ram!

Toby B

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 03:24:57 pm »
Make sure both 4/8pin 12V_ATX and 20/24pin power connector are connected.
I assume your RAM is supported ? but just make sure by giving the module number from the stickers on the ram!

@terraCrumb
Thanks for replying. I double checked the two cables from the Power Unity to the board. I think the smaller one might have been a bit loose because I pressed it in a bit harder, and I am now able to boot up the BIOS.
Thanks you.

I also managed to get the fans working by attaching them to the Molex (4 pin) daisy chain cable which connects to the Power Unit.
It seems plugging them into the board (using the adapter) just doesn't work... but never mind.

My problem now is that when I leave the BIOS and try to boot up, it hangs on a screen that doesn't really go anywhere.
Black screen with white text saying:

Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key

The board LCD 2 digit read out says: AE
... which I have come to understand this pretty much means 'dead end'.

When I press any key the sentence appears again under the one before it. Advice online suggests that hard drives aren't connected to the board or power unit properly... but when I check them they seem fine.

Please can anyone tell me, do you know what could cause this problem?

Thanks for reading  :)
Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 04:00:42 pm »
Hi there,

the system seems to be OK it is just that you do not have an OS installed yet which is why it is asking you to insert the BOOT Media (OS Install disk or USB Pendrive) or, if you have an OS on a Hard drive then you need to direct the BIOS to where it is.

If you are trying to install an OS from a DVD/CD or USB Pendrive then pressing F12 during startup will bring up the BOOT menu. You can then click on the DVD/CD or USB Pendrive in this list to BOOT from there.

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.