0 (0%)
Stop production
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

USB 3.0 resource limitation

jzw

USB 3.0 resource limitation
« on: October 20, 2014, 12:58:17 pm »
I have found that when I have more than 13 USB units on a USB3 host port or ports each of which has three open pipes I get an error condition on Windows 8 or 7. I have updated my USB 3.0 drivers and am at a loss to know the solution. PCs are comeing with only USB 3 host ports so this is going to be a serious limitation.

autotech

Re: USB 3.0 resource limitation
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 01:05:40 am »
What Motherboard are you using and what reason for using 13 USB items.  You also didn't list any other specs. It could be that the PSU is inadequate or that one or more of your USB items are working incorrectly.  Of course no one will ever know unless you give more details.

Like make and model of Motherboard
make and model of PSU. CPU, Ram, Hard drive type and what USB devices are you using make and model of each.

Of course your poll is the same the only choices you give are the same worded different but both result in the same thing. I do not plan to stop using USB3 because I don't use more than 2 or 3 USB3 items at any given point. Why not fix the USB3 drivers or make them load before operating system which I am sure if they haven't  figured it out yet, They  will shortly.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 01:09:30 am by autotech »
GA-Z170X-UD5,Core i5-6600K,16 GIG,3200 ram ,2 X Corsair 240GB SATA III SSD, 500 gig HD,7 ult 64\, Rx-480 8gig\

Z97X-SOC GIGABYTE, I5 4670k, 16 gig 1600 ram, 240 gig sata3 SSD,1x 500HD/ R9 280x, corsair 650 RM PSU

GA-Z97X-Gaming G1,850 corsair,,DDR4 3200,240SSd,6950 video,850EVA

jzw

Re: USB 3.0 resource limitation
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 02:34:16 pm »
Thank you for responding. Let me expand on my question.

I have a system that uses a number of USB based modules each with three active pipes all connected to a host PC through a combination of hubs. All of the units and hubs are self powered. When I connect to a USB2 host port on any PC that I have used I get no problems with a large number of modules with either Win 7 64 bit or 32 bit, or win 8 64 bit operating systems.

If I use the same combination of units plugged into a USB 3 port I can only get 13 units to connect correctly. Any beyond that gives a "Out of resource" error on Win 8 or a error 10 in the drivers panel on Win 7. This happens on a number of PCs, one Gigabyte MB with USB3 hub, one Gigabyte MB with a separate commercial usb 3.0 root hub, and a DELL laptop with native usb 3 ports. In each case all is well if connected to a usb 2 host port.

The problem appears to be with the number of open pipes. If I use units that do not have open pipes other than the basic control pipe I can connect more units without error.

This leads me to conclude that there is a restriction in the USB 3 host hub port driver. All of the units have drivers preinstalled by using a different combination of hubs and units. I believe that the Win 7 host drivers are provided by the manufacturer and the Win 8 host drivers are provided by Microsoft.

I would appreciate any comment on this. I can provide details of motherboards, disks etc if it helps but I do not think it relevant at the moment.