Official GIGABYTE Forum

No way to boot from DVD

No way to boot from DVD
« on: December 31, 2015, 11:42:35 am »
Hello,

I obtained a pc with the gigabyte

GA-EX58-D54

motherboard, and now I'm trying to install windows into it, but there is no way to make this sucker boot from DVD..!

This particular problem seems to pop up frequently in the gigabyte forums, but I have been unable to solve it by googling.

Consider this:

1) I boot my windows 7 dvd, with ONLY the dvd drive connected to sata port 0 (all other drives disconnected)

My pc boots correctly from the dvd, but of course, I can't install anything as there are no hard disks.

2) I boot my windows 7 dvd, with dvd drive in sata master 0 and an ssd drive in sata slave 0

There is no way to make it boot from dvd..!

- Yes, I have set the correct boot order in BIOS
- No ACHI is used, but IDE
- Also, when pressing F12 in the boot process, I can get to the boot menu

When going into dvd boot, this is what I get:

CD/DVD boot:
Press a key to boot from CD/DVD ...

At this moment the pc seems unresponsive to any keystrokes.. I am using a usb keyboard (would a ps/2 keyboard make any difference..?)

And then it, surprise surprise, boots from the ssd drive for the N:th time once again.

3) I even installed windows on the ss
d, using my wifes laptop and its dvd drive, then put that ssd into the pc, but of course, windows refuses to recover as the hardware has been changed.  .. windows gives the option to enter windows without repairing, but again, my usb keyboard is unresponsive and I can't choose that option, so it goes into endless recovery loop.

Completely stuck!

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: No way to boot from DVD
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 01:51:39 pm »
Go in set all your boot devices to boot to the DVD. It really doesn't matter where connect your drives too. But I would put the SSD on Sata 0. Then I would put the DVD on Sata 5 or 6.

You really should have the Sata controller set AHCI.  The next thing go into Integrated Peripherals and make sure your the USB's are enabled.

USB Keyboard Function
Allows USB keyboard to be used in MS-DOS. (Default: Disabled)

USB Mouse Function
Allows USB mouse to be used in MS-DOS. (Default: Disabled)
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 04:23:09 pm »
Ok, fixed it.

1) usb keyboard was disabled in the bios
2) .. however, it was hard to notice this, because in bios, the usb keyboard works ok..!
3) In the moment when bios says "press any key to boot from cd/dvd" the usb keyboard is actually disconnected. 
.. quite devilish bug in the bios indeed.

However, fixed by enabling usb keyboards in bios

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 05:04:04 pm »
No not really with older boards it was common. Since than they kind of fix it. Some of the board are still that way. I have a Evga x99 board and there is no Ps2 ports so you have use a USB keyboard. Yes it will work in the bios, but once you are in Dos it is different ball game. I'm glad it work out for you.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.