Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gaming GT mother board does not recognize Raid M.2 or does it? Could you do it?

OK, here is my system,

MB - Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gamming GT ver 1,
BIOS F5
CPU - Intel i7-6700k
RAM - 32GB (4 sticks of 8GB) G.Skill F4-3200C16Q-32GVKB
Video - EVGA 980 Ti Classified
HD1- Samsung 950 Pro (M.2) 512MB
HD2 - 4 x WD 2TB Black drives
CPU cooler - Corsair H100i GTX
Power - Corsair HX850i

Question, has anyone with the Gigabyte GT motherboard, have they been able to install drivers for Win 10 IN RAID been able to get the 950 Pro to work?

I have spent a lot of time and I can get it to work in the AHCI easily but I can't get it to work with the Raid. 

I have been on other forums asking this question and it seems to come down to this.

If I try to install Win 10 while in Raid my NVMe drives are not recognized.  Please help if anyone has figured a way around this.

Thank you,

-Craig

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Hope my thread helped maybe even post pic step by step much more easier for people just to follow..

Hello and I did get it fixed.

I did get an excellent response on a different thread which walked me through it perfectly and I have been up for over a day now testing everything and I am having no issues.

I was going to ask the permission of the person who helped me to re-post his suggestions of how I fixed this but for some reason I am now a banned IP address from that forum.  That site releases Gigabyte beta BIOS versions so I would think they would have to be affiliated with Gigabit in some way or at least friendly with.  Very weird because I wanted to post a thank you for helping me but it says I have been banned by the admin.  I have never been banned from anything before.  That is very weird.  It says to contact the admin with any questions and I can't find any links to contact the admin.  Again very weird.

OK anyway, this is exactly how he was able to help me fix my issue and it works perfectly now:

Prior to starting the following steps - download the Intel RST Raid driver from the link - I'm assuming you have 64 bit Win 10 - so download the file called - "f6flpy-x64.zip", and then extract the zip and put the files on a usb drive. Intel RST Raid Driver - Windows 10 - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...ST-RAID-Driver

Both are found at the Intel RST link.  They are both needed for this to work they are key.

1) Turn off your pc and unplug all the 2TB (I had 4 2TB HD ready for Raid) drives and just leave the Samsung 950 Pro connected.
2) Clear your CMOS/Bios and reset it back to factory defaults.
3) Go into your bios and change the following only : a) Windows 8/10 Features - set to Windows 8/10 b) CSM Support - set to Disabled c) Sata Configuration - set to Raid
4)Save Bios settings and reboot.
5)Boot up from your Windows 10 install DVD or USB drive and proceed with doing a fresh install of Windows 10
6)When it gets to the part of asking you which drive you want to install Windows on, the window should be blank and have no drives.
7) Insert your USB drive that contains the Intel RST Raid driver you downloaded and then select Load Driver, then click on Browse and go to the folder that has the Intel RST driver files from the Zip you extracted.
8)Click ok and then the Windows install will load the driver and after a bit of scanning, will the display the 950 Pro drive in the drive selection window. If there is any partitions on it, use the delete button to remove everything so it is then a blank drive and then proceed to install Windows 10 on it.
9) After the install completes you will have a proper functioning bootable Windows 10 system drive. Then install the Intel RST Raid Application, which can be downloaded from the same link above and is called "SetupRST.zip"
10)Once you have fully installed all the drivers for your board in Windows, then shut down, plug your 2TB drives back in and then go back into the bios and then go into the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Raid Controller and setup the Raid for the 2TB drives.
11) Save and reboot into Windows 10 and you will see your raid drive in Disk Manager and the Intel RST Raid Application.

I am still slightly concerned because the BIOS does not recognize the 950 Pro HD but the Samsung software does now recognize the drive as being installed and it is able to perform the test for how fast it is running. 

Other then that, for 2 days it has been working great with no crashes and I have 4 x 2 TB drives working in Raid 10 which I have been impressed with so far.

If Fact11 reads this, I really appreciate your help.  Thank you very much.  I apologize I could not thank you on that forum.

Thank you,

-Craig
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 02:27:52 am by Craig.. »