Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 - Sound issues

GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 - Sound issues
« on: July 30, 2016, 10:25:54 am »
Hello everyone,

My problem is as follows: yesterday I've got my new pc build delivered, and after installing all the software and overclocking, I've encountered one annoying problem - whenever I'm in any game, my headset gives me a really loud buzzing, static noise and a sound of... fans spinning?

When I'm plugged into front panel, I can hear static when moving my mouse on the screen and generally doing nothing. When I'm plugged into rear panel, this noise disappears, but the wierd noise in games is still there, and it's really loud. In the SoundBlaster control panel, I've noticed that I can ONLY use headphone setting when I am plugged into front jack panel. When I'm plugged into rear panel, I can only use "Speakers 2.1" - sound isn't as loud on max volume, bass is quite flat, quality is generally mediocre. Once again, I've searched through the internet and found another piece of the puzzle - this board seems to have a headphone sound amplifier - BurrBrown OPA2134, but it only works when I'm plugged in the front panel! Now here's the question:

Is there any reason for the sound to be amplified only through front panel? Is there any way for the sound to be amplified by OPA2134 when using rear panel? How do I get rid of the really strong noise when using the front panel? I am suspecting the amplifier causing the noise - would changing it to another model fix the issue? Why the hell is the noise only occuring when using my gpu to render 3d stuff (games)?

Thank you for any help!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 10:38:21 am by introus »

Re: GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 - Sound issues
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 12:50:17 pm »
Update: Actually using the rear out jack panel, there is no gpu noise when playing games. All the problems are only related to the front panel.

The problem is that when I use rear panel, the sound quality and volume is significantly worse than front panel - seems like the headphone amplifier simply doesn't work. I can't use headphone setting in SoundBlaster SBX Pro Studio - back panel always works as Speakers. Is there any way I can get the OPA2134 to work with rear panel?

Thanks!

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 10:27:37 pm »
Hello again,

After everything, I still can't figure out what causes my problems. But I've given up on the front panel - I just want to know how to make Audio Gain (headphone amplifier) work when using rear jack panel. Anyone?

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 03:36:14 am »
Hello again,

After everything, I still can't figure out what causes my problems. But I've given up on the front panel - I just want to know how to make Audio Gain (headphone amplifier) work when using rear jack panel. Anyone?

Make sure you have plugged in the correct slot. Also depending of your headphones, there is a physical switch on motherboard bottom left corner where you can chose dB strength.
Which windows are you running? When using Soundblaster software you can also specify type of connection.

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 07:37:13 am »
Make sure you have plugged in the correct slot. Also depending of your headphones, there is a physical switch on motherboard bottom left corner where you can chose dB strength.
Which windows are you running? When using Soundblaster software you can also specify type of connection.

Thank you for reply!

I'm running Windows 10 64 bit. I'm aware about the physical switch, but it only switches the amp power from 2.5x to 6x. Currently it feels like my front jack panel is amplified 6x while my rear panel is not amplified at all. When I use rear panel, Soundblaster software switches the setting to Stereo 2.0(Speakers) instead of Headphones - if I manually switch back to Headphones, there is no sound output at all.

legal

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 03:09:55 pm »

Thank you for reply!

I'm running Windows 10 64 bit. I'm aware about the physical switch, but it only switches the amp power from 2.5x to 6x. Currently it feels like my front jack panel is amplified 6x while my rear panel is not amplified at all. When I use rear panel, Soundblaster software switches the setting to Stereo 2.0(Speakers) instead of Headphones - if I manually switch back to Headphones, there is no sound output at all.

You are connected to wrong output, it has a specific amplified headphone jack on the rear panel is not shared with the output to the speakers.

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 04:04:50 pm »

Thank you for reply!

You are connected to wrong output, it has a specific amplified headphone jack on the rear panel is not shared with the output to the speakers.

Is there any reward for being exceptionally retarded? Cause I think I've earned one. Thanks.