Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z87-D3HP. Why I can't see the BIOS at startup, before entering OS?

Takis_M

Good day to all

In connection with a previous thread of mine, where I discussed the long time boot of the PC, I have to discuss the matter of this thread and try to find a solution.

Recently (about 15 days ago), having returned from my country house, where I had a short time summer vacation, I tried to operate again this PC. In connection with my previous topic, I had already disconnected all the extra HDDs. Even the optical drives were (temporarily) disconnected for this purpose. I had kept only the System Disc (SanDisk SSD) connected.

Well, the PC started normally, but I was not able to see the BIOS startup post screen, even for one second. Quickly enough, the PC presented the OS startup screen and after entering it, it worked OK (and it still does).

I tried to restart it and before allowing it to enter the OS, I kept pressing the DEL button on my keyboard, hoping that the BIOS setup will pop up on my screen.

Nothing happened! After waiting for more than 7 or 8 minutes, I tried to restart it, by pressing the RESET button and then again the DEL, but I received the same results: A black screen, continuing after quite some minutes of waiting and not entering the OS.

Then I thought a way to force it to make the BIOS post screen appear (at least). I disconnected the System Disc and the DIGITUS PCI Sata Controller, having no drives connected on the motherboard at all, I restarted the PC, expecting the usual post screen to appear, warning me that there is no operating system media connected on the motherboard.

Again, nothing happened.

However, if the System Disc is connected, the PC will normally boot into the OS and then it works fine.

Can somebody help me to find a way to have again the BIOS setup screen on my PC, at startup?

Thanks

P.S.
FYG, the Graphics Card is connected to the PC screen via HDMI port (if this may be of any significance at all).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 11:05:50 am by Takis_M »

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: GA-Z87-D3HP. Why I can't see the BIOS at startup, before entering OS?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 11:59:26 am »
What OS and What keyboard are you using? If it is windows 10 it boot really fast and it doesn't give you the time to get to the bios. Sometimes if you use a Ps2 keyboard it might help. One other thing once the computer starts hit the del till you are in the bios don't wait for the bios screen.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Takis_M

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 02:18:28 pm »
What OS and What keyboard are you using? If it is windows 10 it boot really fast and it doesn't give you the time to get to the bios. Sometimes if you use a Ps2 keyboard it might help. One other thing once the computer starts hit the del till you are in the bios don't wait for the bios screen.

Thanks, mate for your post.

As I mention in the details of my previous thread, regarding this PC, the OS is Windows 10 Pro 64-bit OS, upgraded from Windows 8.1 Pro.

I do understand your thesis that it boots really fast on Win 10, but I really do what you suggest. Before the PC boots in the OS, as soon as it starts, I keep pressing repeatedly the DEL key continuously. This repeated pressing is kept for more than 3 or 4 minutes, while the PC attempts to start. In the past, it used to go into the BIOS initial screen, the one I am attaching here.

However, this initial screen does not appear now at all. Consequently, the BIOS setup screen, which is supposed to appear after the repeated pressing of the DEL key, it also does not appear.

Therefore, something has been done (or set) wrongly. By looking in the Motherboard BIOS setup (in Motherboard manual), I found the following topics that may be related to this behaviour:

Full Screen LOGO Show
Allows you to determine whether to display the GIGABYTE Logo at system startup. Disabled skips the
GIGABYTE Logo when the system starts up. (Default: Enabled)

Fast Boot
Enables or disables Fast Boot to shorten the OS boot process. Ultra Fast provides the fastest bootup
speed. (Default: Disabled)

If something has been changed on one or both of them, other than the default values, it may be the cause of what it happens.

The question is how to get into the BIOS setup and change these settings back to their default values.

Unless there is something else and it really needs me to do something more radical, to enable the BIOS startup and BIOS setup screens.

In fact, I am thinking to erase the current settings in the BIOS, by clearing the BIOS settings, using the shortening of the CLR_CMOS jumper.

Your advice on this matter will be appreciated.
-
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 02:20:09 pm by Takis_M »

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 02:35:45 pm »
Don't know if that can help you, but you could try disabling fast boot / startup in Windows.

Cf. http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-10-a.html

Takis_M

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 06:53:14 pm »
Don't know if that can help you, but you could try disabling fast boot / startup in Windows.

Cf. http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-10-a.html

Thanks, Erwin, I tried that. As expected, I found the setting at "Fast Startup" and I disabled it (tick off). However, when I try to start up the PC, after having saved the settings, the condition still remains the same: I can't see the BIOS startup screen when I turn the PC on. My screen remains black (no picture at all), while I can observe the Power LED and the HDD LED running, until the Windows startup screen pops up.

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 05:26:15 am »
Ok, another way I found to force a Gigabyte BIOS to go into Settings is simply to disconnect all disks, all CD/DVD reader or writer, and remove any connected USB mass storage device.

In such a case, the BIOS cannot find anything to boot from, and it goes directly to the settings mode.

Or if that also fails, I believe there is an option in Windows to telll the UEFI BIOS to boot to settings at next boot .. not sure where it is though, but at least I did see that in the Windows recovery menus when Windows decides to boot to them (when it has an error booting, but I think we can also force that if needed, just not sure how yet).
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 05:26:56 am by erwin34 »

Takis_M

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 05:58:45 pm »
Ok, another way I found to force a Gigabyte BIOS to go into Settings is simply to disconnect all disks, all CD/DVD reader or writer, and remove any connected USB mass storage device.

In such a case, the BIOS cannot find anything to boot from, and it goes directly to the settings mode.

Thanks, Erwin, for your post. As you can see in my initial posting, I tried that, but no remedy:

"Then I thought a way to force it to make the BIOS post screen appear (at least). I disconnected the System Disc and the DIGITUS PCI Sata Controller, having no drives connected on the motherboard at all, I restarted the PC, expecting the usual post screen to appear, warning me that there is no operating system media connected on the motherboard."

Or if that also fails, I believe there is an option in Windows to telll the UEFI BIOS to boot to settings at next boot .. not sure where it is though, but at least I did see that in the Windows recovery menus when Windows decides to boot to them (when it has an error booting, but I think we can also force that if needed, just not sure how yet).

Right!

This is what I am looking for, but I don't know how. Any help from someone who knows, will be highly appreciated.
-

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 10:28:44 pm »
Back from vacations .. try EasyUEFI http://easyuefi.com/

In the Power menu at upper right, there is an option to reboot into UEFI firmware settings.

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2016, 04:09:46 am »
Try CLR_CMOS or a battery pull with power disconnected to regain control and enter Set Up.
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW