Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X58A-UD7 damaged by twisted PCIe x16 slot?

Udo

GA-X58A-UD7 damaged by twisted PCIe x16 slot?
« on: December 05, 2010, 10:29:59 am »
I received a PC where a Corsair dual fan RAM cooler and another internal fan had come loose during transport and fallen on the end of a HD5970 graphics card. That in turn put twisting strain on the card slot and probably damaged the motherboard connection (at least).

When running POST it hangs on 2B - "Invoke video BIOS". When I push the end of the HD5970 (and indirectly the card slot) in the direction from where the fans had fallen onto it and run POST again, I can get it to complete most of the time (not always).

When POST completes, I do get an image on the monitor, i.e. the basic HD5970 functions appear to be working. However, I can't install the OS and HD5970 drivers (because I have to hold the card carefully to keep things working) so I don't know if both GPUs and all functions of the HD5070 work properly either.

I can't test much, because I don't have another graphics card or another motherboard I can put the HD5070 in.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this? I suppose GA-X58A-UD7 replacement should be step one (unless the seller insists on motherboard repair, if possible?).

Thanks.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: GA-X58A-UD7 damaged by twisted PCIe x16 slot?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 10:42:21 am »
Hi and wleocme to the Gigabyte UK Forum.

Your legal system might differ from ours in Australia but over here the first person to contact would be the retailer and let them sort it out with the courier as to who was to blame. Once agreed I would only accept a completely new build as you don't know if there is any subsequent but maybe unnoticable damege been done. Make a note of all the seriel numbers and then arrange for the retailer to replace it.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

bubbl3

Re: GA-X58A-UD7 damaged by twisted PCIe x16 slot?
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 02:11:11 pm »
Hi and wleocme to the Gigabyte UK Forum.

Your legal system might differ from ours in Australia but over here the first person to contact would be the retailer and let them sort it out with the courier as to who was to blame. Once agreed I would only accept a completely new build as you don't know if there is any subsequent but maybe unnoticable damege been done. Make a note of all the seriel numbers and then arrange for the retailer to replace it.

Agreed, retailer should sort it out with the courier but first they should take it back and replace it with another system, you can't know what other damage the cooler may have done.