Official GIGABYTE Forum

Cool'n'Quiet Overclocking Multiplier

fadsarmy

Cool'n'Quiet Overclocking Multiplier
« on: June 16, 2011, 11:49:23 pm »
I thought, on the Black Edition processors, once you overclock with multiplier then Cool'n'Quiet no longer works. Is this correct?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Cool'n'Quiet Overclocking Multiplier
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 08:10:21 am »
Hi there,

It all depends on whether the Moon is in Leo with Scorpio rising! Well, we are talking about how a PC component works and it can seem very much like a mystic art.

When overclocking Cool&Quiet tends to work up to a point and then seems to stop working. On my 1090T I can unlock the multiplier and take the CPU from 3.2GHz to 3.6GHz and Cool&Quiet works but if I go above 3.6GHz it doesn't work.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

fadsarmy

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 11:16:17 am »
Hi there,

It all depends on whether the Moon is in Leo with Scorpio rising! Well, we are talking about how a PC component works and it can seem very much like a mystic art.

When overclocking Cool&Quiet tends to work up to a point and then seems to stop working. On my 1090T I can unlock the multiplier and take the CPU from 3.2GHz to 3.6GHz and Cool&Quiet works but if I go above 3.6GHz it doesn't work.

I have the 1090T and when I increase the multiplier to 18 Cool'n'Quiet works. I also have a 1100T and when I increased the multiplier to 19 Cool'n'Quiet doesn't work. Looks like we have the same issue.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 11:51:26 am »
Yes, it's all rather confusing really, isn't it?  :o

It really does seem to depend on:
The processor
The Multiplier that is set
BIOS
Motherboard
and all this in no particular order and without any real logic.

However, usually when overclocking you wouldn't want the Cool&Quiet feature, as this throttles the processor speed and voltages and the usual practice would be to disable this before overclocking. Maybe that is why it works with a minor O/C but doesn't when you go above a certain point.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.