Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-EX58-UD5 Hard Drive AHCI mode errors

GA-EX58-UD5 Hard Drive AHCI mode errors
« on: August 09, 2011, 01:03:22 am »
I hope it is a right place to post.

My problem is that I have purchased a new SSD drive and tried to install Windows 7 on it.
I wanted to make drive load in AHCI mode, so I chnaged it in BIOS.
After a day of struggle I've managed to install Windows on it and it works fine...unless my other (older) drives are not connected to the motherboard.
It was due to trying to installing Win7 when drive was connected to Gigabte/Intel ports and drive was not being recognized, but switching to JMicron solved the problem. Then I had to install drivers for the SATA drive from flash drive during the installation process.
After installing drivers, I had to open CD bay and close it so Windows frees the C: drive and being able to install on a new drive. I had a lot of fun and on 30-ish try system installed.

Finally to the question:

But now every time I boot my computer I first unplug the old drives, otherwise I get the 'Error loading Operating System' error.
I have to plug them later, when the whole system boots up (I am in Windows 7).
I thought it had to do with the other copies of Windows being install on those drives, so I removed them.
However the problem persists.
Q: I don't want to always unplug and plug back in the drives, and want my system to load normally. However the data on those drives is valuable and I also don't want to format the drives. What are my options? Do I need to somehow turn those drives in AHCI mode if I no longer have Windows on them?

My drive: Force Series™ F115 Solid-State Hard Drive
BIOS: F13

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: GA-EX58-UD5 Hard Drive AHCI mode errors
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 08:39:14 am »
Hi and welcome.

Your best choice of action would be to move your SSD over to the Intel port SATA_0 and then arrange your other drives after that. Put the optical drive on the JMicron port and make it IDE mode. The other ports make AHCI mode before doing a clean instal of Windows. You will need to back up your important data before doing this of course.

You will need to clear the CMOS first.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB