Official GIGABYTE Forum

H55N USB3 Memory issues

H55N USB3 Memory issues
« on: September 19, 2011, 02:31:54 am »
I bought the gigabyte H55N USB 3 motherboard less than two months back, and I was going to build myself a media PC.  From the start I noticed it was very hard to get the operating system installed, lots of crashes and sudden reboots. I never paid much attention, because this wasn't a system I was going to be using right away. Then a few weeks ago I started messing with it again, and time and time again I would get reboots/crashes. Sometimes the system wouldn't even get passed the booting screen. I decided this was probably hardware related, and I downloaded a few bootable diagnostic cds. First thing I noticed was the memory86x test, it failed everything. Some of the tests I couldn't even get through without the system shutting down or rebooting.  I was running the system with 2 crucial 2gig memory for a total of 4 gigs.  I decided to buy 2 more memory sticks to rule out the memory. I got the memory on Saturday, put them in, and the system wouldn't even start up. This time I got some Patriot memory. These are all 10666 DDR3 memory.  I decided to start testing. I put only ONE patriot in, and finally was able to boot into a diagnostic cd properly, and ran the memory tests, and they all came back perfect.  However, as soon as I put in the second patriot, the system would reboot itself before it passed the bios screen. I switched out memory 1 for memory 2, and same thing. The system will only work with one of the Patriot memory sticks.  I tried the same with one crucial stick, but with that configuration, the system will not even boot up.  Two crucial sticks, it will boot up but fails all memory tests. This has to be a faulty motherboard, right? I've tried everything else.  Any other suggestions? I can't just keep buying more memory to try out. I can't imagine that 2 sets of memory from different manufacturers could be bad.  Hope I get some advice on what to do. Thanks.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: H55N USB3 Memory issues
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 08:23:12 am »
Hi and welcome.

I think it's far more likely that the memory that you have just gone out and bought without and checking is not compatible with the rest of the system. You cannot just use any old memory and expect it to work. You need to check the manufacturer's QVL on their website for RAM that is compatible with your motherboard/CPU.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

ex58

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 08:37:52 am »
Also be sure that you have latest BIOS installed with improved memory compatibility F5 or latest beta F6a.

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 06:08:21 am »
Thanks for the info. The crucial memory is listed in the approved list for the motherboard. The patriot I did not check but the patriot is the one that is actually working when only one is inserted. The crucial will not boot if it's only a single. I did have the latest bios for the board installed but just in case I reinstalled it today. Same problems. I will try to get one more set of memory but I still have a feeling something is not completely right with the motherboard.