Official GIGABYTE Forum

PC Speaker only beeps on errors

geronimo

PC Speaker only beeps on errors
« on: October 22, 2011, 03:37:26 am »
I just moved my GA-EP45-UD3R to a new case. I had to buy a PC speaker, since the case didn't have one. Now that I'm aware of it, I've only heard the beeper when there was an error(two beeps. computer failed to boot). I have Win 7 ultimate 32bits and BIOS F12. I checked the device mgr non plug-in drivers and the beeper status is Start and System. On my main computer, Win 7 Ultimate - 64 bits, rhe beeper always sounds on start up. Is this normal, or do I have a problem on my secondary computer?

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: PC Speaker only beeps on errors
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 07:46:52 am »
In normal circumstances the buzzer/speaker should beep once to show it has passed POST successfully every time that you boot up. It is only a short beep and can easilly be missed.

Make sure that the beeper is actually connected to the motherboard. See your manual for the location.

The sounds you are talking about though are Windows sounds and they come from the audio system not the motherboard speaker.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

geronimo

Re: PC Speaker only beeps on errors
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 01:01:45 pm »
The sounds you are talking about though are Windows sounds and they come from the audio system not the motherboard speaker.
??? My PC's are operating under Terminal Service, not MessageBeep. Beep codes originate from the internal PC speaker, not the audio system speakers. If one is missing or has a malfunction, no sound is heard. Anyhow, I have two different BIOS's, an AMI and an AWARD. The AMI beeps to confirm POST, the AWARD is the problem, and doesn't perform POST beeps. It's not a big problem. I'll switch case speakers for testing, since both are third party add-ons(most new cases and MB's don't have speakers). Thanx for the reply.
Edit: I just removed the video card, and the pc speaker beeped loud and clear on start-up. There's some other problem, maybe a corrupt beep.sys file?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 03:58:32 pm by geronimo »