Here are my specs for my secondary computer:

MOBO: Gigabyte H67MA-USB-B3
PROC: Intel i3-2100
RAM: 2x2GB Kingston 1333
HDD: 2x160GB Seagate
PSU: OCZ SXS2 500W
VGA: Intel HD 2000 @1350

Here is my problem:

The front panel does not recognize most of my USB flash drives - only the BIOS would read them. Card readers and phones (via USB) are exception since they're being read without a hitch. Front panel is connected to the ON/OFF usb port in the motherboards. All of the drivers are updated including BIOS.

Tried it with Windows 7 Professional x64 and Windows XP 32-bit but still to no avail. Also tried clearing the CMOS, resetting the entire settings on the mobo, and clearing the USB devices list on the OS. Not really so sure if the problem lies with the OS, motherboard, or the power supply. I ruled out the casing/front panel base since it reads the card readers and usb cable connections.

Hope somebody could help me with this

Thanks in advance

« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 01:02:40 am by xpressmusic »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: H67MA-USB3-B3 - picky front panel USB
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 08:55:18 am »
Hi and welcome.

I cannot give a definitive answer as to why it should happen but quite often the front panel USB ports seem to be more erratic in their detection of devices. That is on many motherboards not just this one. It may be something to do with the wiring loom between the front panel ports and the motherboard header, I am really not sure.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Gloup_Gloup

• Let us sweet between members, on the forum.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 10:51:35 am »
Hi xpressmusic,

In BIOS, your system setting is in S4/S5 mode?

I read in the manual, p 27 :

Prior to installing the USB bracket, be sure to turn off your computer and unplug the power cord from the power outlet to prevent damage to the USB bracket.

Gloup_Gloup

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 01:58:11 pm »
Hi and welcome.

I cannot give a definitive answer as to why it should happen but quite often the front panel USB ports seem to be more erratic in their detection of devices. That is on many motherboards not just this one. It may be something to do with the wiring loom between the front panel ports and the motherboard header, I am really not sure.

Hi Dark Mantis,

Thanks for the welcome message and for your response.

I tried using the flash drives onto my primary computer to confirm if they are still working and all of it are really much been working without problems.

Also tried cleaning the usb ports, just almost everything I need to do to make it working. I already ruled out the PSU as the aforementioned ports are reading external HDD's. As I mentioned in my original post, usb phone cables, external hdd's, and magicjack are working flawless. The only thing that it doesn't read is again, the flash drives.

Another development is that I tried booting the flash drives with memtest and it loaded.

It's really bizarre.

Thanks

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 02:02:27 pm »
Hi xpressmusic,

In BIOS, your system setting is in S4/S5 mode?

I read in the manual, p 27 :

Prior to installing the USB bracket, be sure to turn off your computer and unplug the power cord from the power outlet to prevent damage to the USB bracket.

Gloup_Gloup
Hi Gloup_Gloup,

First, thanks for your response.

I have S4/S5 enabled as Erp is set on. Nice spot, I haven't tried changing POS modes. Will check it out tonight and inform what happens with it.

I installed the components on a scratch build with the power plug disconnected so I think I haven't done any damage prior to installing the usb front panel header.

Thanks