Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 not seeing Sitecom bluetooth stick on front USB ports

First of all, happy new year to everyone!

Ok, this is very strange. I bought a new Sitecom CN-523 USB bluetooth stick and I can't get it to work on one of the two front USB ports. Windows (and I've tried Ubuntu live CD as well) simply doesn't see anything. Of course I have all the latest drivers installed and there are no exclamation marks in device manager.

Other devices, and even other bluetooth sticks (which are crappy anyway, that's why I bought the Sitecom), work fine in those USB ports. And the Sitecom also works fine on the integrated USB ports at the back, or when plugged into my laptop. But I want this stick in my front USB port for better wireless connection.

So, the stick seems to be OK (works on back USB ports and laptop), but the front USB ports seem to be OK as well, because the Sitecom is the only device that's not recognized in any way...

Specs:
Antec P182
Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 rev. 1.0 (with latest BIOS version F6)
Sitecom USB bluetooth stick (CN-523)
Windows 7 Utimate x64

Please help  :(
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 02:25:23 pm by Saekerhett »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Hi

Is your new USB pendrive a USB3.0 version ?

Some USB drives do seem to have difficulty being recognised on the front ports especially for some reason. Maybe it is because of the length of cable between the header and the port being more and therefore more of a voltage drop.I suppose some drives are more suseptible to things like that than others. Just my theory. :-\
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Hi

Is your new USB pendrive a USB3.0 version ?

Some USB drives do seem to have difficulty being recognised on the front ports especially for some reason. Maybe it is because of the length of cable between the header and the port being more and therefore more of a voltage drop.I suppose some drives are more suseptible to things like that than others. Just my theory. :-\

Hello, thanks for replying.

No, it's a 2.0 stick. It's this one: http://www.sitecom.com/micro-adapter-bluetooth-2-1-usb/p/658

I don't know what the cause is, but I find it strange that it won't even see there's a stick connected. Just nothing. Not even the 'Windows can't recognize the bla bla bla...'.

Edit:
Ok, I figured something out. Apparently it's the front USB panel from Antec. I've connected a USB bracket on the same connection where the front USB panel was, connected the stick on the bracket and it immediately worked. So it's not the motherboard, I think there's something wrong with the front USB panel...
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 06:10:50 pm by Saekerhett »

Gloup_Gloup

• Let us sweet between members, on the forum.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 11:22:05 am by Gloup_Gloup »

Thanks Gloup_Gloup.

Meanwhile I've contacted both Antec and Sitecom to see if they know what's going on.
When I think of it, I still find it very strange just NOTHING happens when I insert the Sitecom in the front USB connection.
Come to think of it... I can remember some other bluetooth stick suddenly had an exclamation mark in device manager, that one was also connected at the front. Don't know if that is related to this problem, could be.

Gloup_Gloup

Hi Saekerhett,  ;)

Welcome to forum and happy new year...

Come again here, with news from other Brands.

Gloup_Gloup
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 05:34:30 pm by Gloup_Gloup »

Well I'm back with news.

1. Sitecom said the device may not be getting enough power from the front USB bracket. I find that hard to believe, because as you know, I already swapped brackets on the same connection, and presto, it worked.

2. Antec said I could RMA the USB bracket under warranty if I had it less than three years. Unfortunately, I have the case a little while longer already.

But I exchanged the CN-523 stick and swapped it for a CN-516. The only difference is the latter one has 10 meter range, the former one 100. And my new stick works great so far, even on the front USB! So I guess there had to be something wrong with the stick, but I don't have an explanation what it could be.

Thanks anyway for helping!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 06:36:27 pm by Saekerhett »

Gloup_Gloup

Hi Saekerhett,  ;)

Glad to see with the communication between companies and people, you find an appropriate solution for you.

Thank you for your recognition.

Gloup_Gloup