'Hacking Tosh' using the above board (GA-H55-UD2H Intel H55 Rev.1.3), and
normal standard parts from new.  I decided I have, had enough of it now and
tried to install window on it.  Windows starts to install, then halts and
give the following message, Windows has stopped installation to prevent
damage to the computer, remove any recently installed HDD or hardware and
restart your computer, ***STOP: 0x0000007B (0x78d25524, 0xC0000034,
0x00000000, 0x00000000.   I have loaded the fail safe defaults into the
Bios, used another formatted HDD but still cannot get past the ***STOP
screen.  So I am going around in circles- it is driving me Nuts !!
Thanks and Regards  :)
Bob

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Cannot install window - Problems
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 06:45:08 am »
Hi there,

a few details would help.

What version of Windows are you trying to install?
Apart from the Motherboard and CPU what other hardware do you have installed, especially RAM and HDD's).
Are you trying to use AHCI or IDE Mode for the SATA Controller(s)?

The 0x0000007B error code usually points to problems with accessing the Harddrive. Have you totally erased the harddrive that you are trying to install the OS onto using a Windows based PC?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 07:36:14 am »
Please start by loading optimixed defaults in the BIOS, then save/apply/reboot back to the BIOS.   Once in the BIOS again set your SATA settings to what mode you want to install windows in, meaning IDE or AHCI.  Then install windows.

The 7B error means you've got the wrong mode set for how windows was installed, so you are trying to use a disk with windows already installed on it correct?  If so you'll need to set that to the correct value, what it was set to during the install.

If the issue persists, and you are using a clean disk without windows already installed, maybe try burning your install DVD again (If you do this use the slowest burn setting, always do that for OS install media)

Since you originally had hacintosh on the drive, did you do a low level format to the drive, or zero it out?   If not you may need to, I'm not sure, but I know sometimes MAC or Linux use funky partitions that windows can't deal with, so just thinking out loud there in case it helps :D

Also, you will need to flash a normal, NON MAC, BIOS into the board again!   I bet that may be part of your issues as well, if you used a special MAC BIOS from somewhere, I know those are out there as well.   So if you did that, please update the BIOS to a normal official unedited one, using Qflash or DOS.  Then do the above mentioned Optimized Default dance and try the install again once you are done with that.

*Edit*

Haha, I need to stop having tabs open for so long while I reply :D
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 07:36:51 am by Lsdmeasap »

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 09:42:59 am »
Thanks for info guys, will try the bios, I think I had it set to AHCI, I installed the Mac OS Snow Leopard, using a Mac boot loader iboot, come to think of it I had to change the setting to ACHI.  I re formatted the HDD, but still left a small mac partition on the drive, so I merged them and reformatted,  will try again, windows 7.
Thanks
Bob

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 10:33:13 am »
Yes, use AHCI.   And if you still get the error, delete ALL volumes on that disk with a tool from DOS or live CD, and then let windows create a partition itself.  You don't want any of the MAC partitions or bootloader, ect on that drive.  And you will for sure need to flash in a proper BIOS if you were using a modified one for MAC.

Good luck, and let us know how you get along!

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 01:26:18 pm »
OK, problem solved, changed the settings in the BIOS from ACHI to IDE(Sata) and viola, it now works
Thanks Guys
Bob

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 08:55:34 am »
You don't really want IDE mode, that is slow.

Is this an SSD?   If so, can you test a clean install in AHCI mode on another SSD, or hard drive?   Just to be sure the board and BIOS is OK on AHCI, then if so you'll know something is wrong with the main disk you are trying to use in AHCI mode.