Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-P67A-UD3-B3 AHCI and Optical Drives issue.

GA-P67A-UD3-B3 AHCI and Optical Drives issue.
« on: March 05, 2012, 06:15:09 pm »
Hello, and sorry for my poor english, again.  ;D
After having succeeded in solving the serious problem of the motherboard that would not start, I can try to understand the other defect that I have not yet managed to explain: with any revision of the BIOS, if I enable AHCI or RAID mode, the BIOS does not see more optical drives. This means that I can not boot from CD / DVD: strangely, after loading Windows, the drives appear correctly in the device manager and works properly.
My optical drives are two units of Pioneer (DVD-215DBK and DVD-216DBK), both updated with the latest firmware.
The thing has already happened to someone?!? I have to hold it in this way, or is there some option that can be changed?!?
Thank you, even now, everyone will try to help.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 07:03:57 pm by Gulliver_69 »
Core i5 2500 + GA-P67A-UD3-B3 + 2 x 4GB DDR3 + SCSI Adaptec 29160N + ATARAID CTRL IT8212F + SCSI HDD 36GB Cheetah Enterprise + SATA HDD 1TB Barracuda 7200.11
Openoffice 3.3.0 and LibreOffice 3.5.0 on Windows 7 x64 SP1

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
Re: GA-P67A-UD3-B3 AHCI and Optical Drives issue.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 09:06:23 am »
Often in AHCI or RAID mode, the BIOS does not see HDD, SSD, or optical in the Standard CMOS page.   You do not need to change anything there ever anyway.  Is that the page you were referring to?  If so, that is normal, nothing to worry about at all.

If you mean in other BIOS sections like the 1, 2, 3 boot order, then it could be a BIOS incompatibility or a incompatibility with the Intel ROM (And I have seen that with various CD/DVD drives including Pioneer ones).  If this is the case you'll need to send in a report and see if they can fix it.  I have fixed it before a few times for users with Dell BIOSes by changing out the Intel ROM's, but you don't want to do that as you'd be going backwards to older ROM's

As for booting from CD in AHCI mode, can you press F12 at startup and choose CD by name or general CD and boot to it?

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 10:50:26 am »
Hello Lsdmeasap,
actually the problem is just that: everything works correctly, if the SATA CTRL is configured in IDE mode. The DVD drives make booting and all devices are seen in standard CMOS page. If I select AHCI mode, all devices disappear from the Standard CMOS page, and the SATA DVD drives does not run on boot. The same thing happens if I select RAID modes or EXTENDED.
My system is also equipped with an Adaptec 29160N SCSI Controller, which manages a DVD drive and a hard disk with the operating system. The problem with the SATA units on the motherboard's BIOS also has an impact on the boot from the SCSI DVD: in fact, in the other mode it does not work, and the boot from the SCSI DVD is done only if the SATA CTRL is in IDE mode.
Another little curiosity: I connected 3 hard drives to SATA ports, but if I try to use some bootable CD to manage partitions, the software will see only two, while Windows sees them all three. I saw that the first four SATA ports are divided into MASTER-SLAVE, is there any limitation on the visibility of disks in DOS?!?
Thank you again...
Core i5 2500 + GA-P67A-UD3-B3 + 2 x 4GB DDR3 + SCSI Adaptec 29160N + ATARAID CTRL IT8212F + SCSI HDD 36GB Cheetah Enterprise + SATA HDD 1TB Barracuda 7200.11

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 07:51:52 am »
That is normal as I mentioned above, that's how it's supposed to work.  Then if you want to boot from CD/DVD you need to use F12 at startup to get to the boot menu, then choose what CD/DVD drive you want to boot from.

If you think there's some compatibility issue with the SCSI controller, remove it and see if you can then boot to CD/DVD normally in AHCI mode.

It does sound like there might be a compatibility issue, so please test without that connected so you can verify this.

There is no master/slave in SATA drives, so not sure what the issue is with your software but it has nothing to do with that.  There shouldn't be any limitations, maybe it's the program itself.   Or you may need to enable native mode or disable if you have enabled.

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 05:42:12 pm »
Hi Lsdmeasap.

Probably I have not explained it well: I tried both with the scsi controller that without it, but in AHCI mode does not change anything. SATA DVD drives do not make the boot, they do it only in IDE mode... Even with pressing F12 to enter the boot menu, I get no results.

I can confirm you the presence of master/slave SATA channels: on the manual (and into the BIOS) is also indicated that there are 4 SATA channels, divided into 6 ports: the first 4 are for the first two SATA channels, while the latter two are only master ports.

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 06:48:49 pm »
I can confirm you the presence of master/slave SATA channels: on the manual (and into the BIOS) is also indicated that there are 4 SATA channels, divided into 6 ports: the first 4 are for the first two SATA channels, while the latter two are only master ports.
Is this statement regarding the sata ports on your motherboard or your add in controller card?

FX 6100/3.3GHz, GA-970a-UD3/F5g, 8GB/1600MHz, Crucial C300 SSD-7pro64, 700w SilentPro, EVGA-GTX470/1900X1080 on Samsung 42" LED, Water cooled ATCS-840

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 08:36:10 am »
There is no master slave SATA, that is just how they label things in the BIOS (Standard CMOS page, do not change ANY settings here).   Master / Slave is only for IDE and is dependent on the jumper and cable position as I mentioned, neither of these things apply to SATA

You should have your OS drive in SATA3_0 and your CD/DVD drive in the last SATA2_5

Here you go, just in case you still aren't sure why I say that about SATA and Master/Slave

With a Serial ATA interface, each disk drive has its own cable that connects directly to a Serial ATA host adapter or a Serial ATA port on your motherboard. Unlike Parallel ATA, there is no master-slave relationship between drives that use a Serial ATA interface.

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=2b089d2c3c90e010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD&locale=en-US
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 08:41:09 am by Lsdmeasap »