Official GIGABYTE Forum

Bios showing no IDE drive in port 0 or 1 - hdd's and cd's showing on 2 and 3

Hello all,

My motherboard is the following model:
GA-MA785GPMT-UD2H

First, let me start with the symptoms. When booting this PC, the bios at first was giving me beeping signals. A low long tone, then a short high tone, then a long low tone that continued indefinitely. I tried re-seating the entire configuration, and using a single stick of memory when starting the PC. Now the PC does just a single beep - which means a normal bios startup?

Anyways, at this point I noticed something strange.

I had two HDD's and one CD drive plugged into ports labeled SATA2 - 0, SATA2 -1, SATA2 -2 respectively. When the bios loaded, it showed the following configuration

empty on port 0 - master, empty on port 0 - slave, empty on port 1- master, empty on port 1 - slave
hdd on port 2 - master, hdd on port 2 - slave, cd on port 3 - master

This is very troubling to me, as I am sure I have them connected into slots 0 and 1 on my motherboard. I tried just connecting a single drive to port 0 labeled on my motherboard, the bios showed it on port 2 - master.

I went into the bios and reset to fail safe settings. After doing this, I received the following prompt:

sata is found running at IDE mode!

setup option is available to set sata to achi mode
now is ide mode the system can not support hot plug, would you like to change the mode y/n

Something is very wrong here. Any ideas? It's hard to pin down, because of the initial tone, that is now gone, and the strange ide configuration and prompts I am receiving.

Thanks - Alex

autotech

the closest sata connectors to bottom are the sata-0 and sata-1 as for the bios make sure it is fully updated and in bios should be set to sata achi . The cd drive if sata you can plug into sata-2 or 3 or 4 Hard drives always go into the lowest sata ports.

For clarifaction on the bios download the manual and read it. page 32 has you bios configuration i dont have that exact motherboard as it is a older chipset being a 785 series. Hope this helps if not reply and someone that has used that MB or is still using can be of more help hopefully

Configure your IDE/SATA devices by using one of the two methods below:
• Auto Lets the BIOS automatically detect IDE/SATA devices during the POST. (Default)
• None If no IDE/SATA devices are used, set this item to None so the system will skip the detection of the device during the POST for faster system startup

On my board i can choose between ide, sata, achi so not sure why they gave you only 2 settings for it unless it a chaeper board.
GA-Z170X-UD5,Core i5-6600K,16 GIG,3200 ram ,2 X Corsair 240GB SATA III SSD, 500 gig HD,7 ult 64\, Rx-480 8gig\

Z97X-SOC GIGABYTE, I5 4670k, 16 gig 1600 ram, 240 gig sata3 SSD,1x 500HD/ R9 280x, corsair 650 RM PSU

GA-Z97X-Gaming G1,850 corsair,,DDR4 3200,240SSd,6950 video,850EVA