Official GIGABYTE Forum

NO TURBO CORE BOOST FOR AMD FX 8120 ON GA 880GM USB3 REV 3.1

NO TURBO CORE BOOST FOR AMD FX 8120 ON GA 880GM USB3 REV 3.1
« on: November 02, 2012, 02:50:16 pm »
no turbo core boost for fx 8120 on ga 880gm usb3
my specs:
MOTHERBOARD - gigabyte GA 880GM USB3 (REVISION 3.1) BIOS VERSION FFD (BETA BIOS) (UPGRADED FROM THE BUILT IN FE)
CPU - AMD FX 8120
POWER SUPPLY - 450 WATTS (HAVING 1X4 12V POWER)
ram corsair 1x4 gb value select
os- ubuntu 12.10 amd64 & windows xp 32bit

when boot using normal default settings i get a constant cpu speed of ~2.8 ghz
to get 3.1 ghz i have to manually do by setting cpu multiplier to 15.5x
by default the turbo core boost is enabled & shows a speed of 4 ghz (default turbo for 8120) in bios but any of the cpu monitoring apps have never showed any movement from 2.8 ghz, even whe ive tried a few benchmarking progs. like fritz chess benchmark, wprime, hyper prime (ive also tried changing the no of cores to be used in order to stimulate the right turbo core frequency eg setting no of cores to only 2 pr 4 cores in these progs).

to check the cpu speed ive tried cpuz, amd over drive,cpu speed professional for windoes.
& phoronix test suite for linux.

the previous bios by default shows 3.1 ghz but still i have not seen any deviation from that speed.
igve tried disabling amd c6, c1e & amd cool n quiet (disabling these power saving features are supposed to make way for easy turbo core), but no change was seen.

is that the case that none of these benchmarking softwares do not detect the realtime cpu speed (I highly doubt this possibility though - they are proven softwares)

is there an inherent problem with the motherboard itself?
is there a known flaw with the bios related to this poblem?
or should i change some settings in the bios to get turbo core properly working (e.g. changing c1e, c6, switch turbo cpb....... etc).
please reply. ::)thanks ::)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 02:53:21 pm by anupaml »