Official GIGABYTE Forum

GV-R797OC-3GD won't go below 50% fan speed

Henk85

Re: GV-R797OC-3GD won't go below 50% fan speed
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2012, 06:43:22 pm »
Meh, I'd rather not fiddle with that, and risking my card ending up bricked. Guess I just have to create a support ticket.

Btw, can I get my card's serial number from anywhere else than the card itself, or do I have to open up my case? I've still got the box it came in right here with me.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 06:44:31 pm by Henk85 »

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 06:46:20 pm »
Meh, I'd rather not fiddle with that, and risking my card ending up bricked. Guess I just have to create a support ticket.

Btw, can I get my card's serial number from anywhere else than the card itself, or do I have to open up my case? I've still got the box it came in right here with me.

I opened mine if im honest - I wanted to make sure I didnt get a didgy box with the wrong SN on it. But you can get it off the box if you like.

Henk85

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 06:50:41 pm »

I opened mine if im honest - I wanted to make sure I didnt get a didgy box with the wrong SN on it. But you can get it off the box if you like.

-edit: never mind, it's on a big sticker on one of the flaps, lol.

It's the right one, according to http://ggts.gigabyte.com.tw/eService/vga_sn_e.htm

Cheers.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 09:27:28 pm by Henk85 »

Henk85

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2012, 10:59:14 pm »
Oh wow...

I think trying to update the BIOS wasn't taken very well by my card; at some random moment I got a blue screen and the card refused to boot. It's pretty weird, since @BIOS gave me a "flashing failed" error when trying to flash the BIOS, so I figured it hadn't changed anything about the BIOS.

The good news is that my card is now functioning again;  I switched the Dual BIOS switch to position 1 (it has been in position 2 by default, ever since I received the card, haven't touched it at all). But I'm wondering what I'm supposed to do about "BIOS 2"? Is there any way to restore it to factory settings?

P.S. I have created a support ticket about the 50% fan speed issue.

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2012, 01:37:47 am »
Oh wow...

I think trying to update the BIOS wasn't taken very well by my card; at some random moment I got a blue screen and the card refused to boot. It's pretty weird, since @BIOS gave me a "flashing failed" error when trying to flash the BIOS, so I figured it hadn't changed anything about the BIOS.

The good news is that my card is now functioning again;  I switched the Dual BIOS switch to position 1 (it has been in position 2 by default, ever since I received the card, haven't touched it at all). But I'm wondering what I'm supposed to do about "BIOS 2"? Is there any way to restore it to factory settings?

P.S. I have created a support ticket about the 50% fan speed issue.

I'm sorry my friend, I'm not too sure on that one :(.

Lanfi

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2012, 04:41:14 pm »
Hi Boyz,

For first thing: sorry for my english.

With my GV-R797OC-3GD i was in the same situation of Henk85. At first time i tried to download the bios F41_A and i flashed it to the vga with the Gigabyte flash bios utility. It was an epic fail because, when i restarted the computer there was black screen, a beep sound and the fans gone at max.

So i switched to the second bios and:
1) I made a bootable usb stick
2) I copied the bios posted by Deano120 in the usb stick (and renamed it newbios.bin)
3) I copied atiflash.exe (last revision, you can download it from techpowerup)
4) Restarted, booted from usb, switched to the corrupted bios and then i wrote the command: atiflash.exe -f -p 0 newbios.bin

Now the fans in idle are under 30%.

But i have another problem (that there was also with the old bios): i can't see with gpu-z the vrm's temperature. I have a screen like this:

(you can see the 50% fan speed when it was in idle...i took the screen with the old bios)

Henk85

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2012, 09:38:30 pm »
Hi Boyz,

For first thing: sorry for my english.

With my GV-R797OC-3GD i was in the same situation of Henk85. At first time i tried to download the bios F41_A and i flashed it to the vga with the Gigabyte flash bios utility. It was an epic fail because, when i restarted the computer there was black screen, a beep sound and the fans gone at max.

So i switched to the second bios and:
1) I made a bootable usb stick
2) I copied the bios posted by Deano120 in the usb stick (and renamed it newbios.bin)
3) I copied atiflash.exe (last revision, you can download it from techpowerup)
4) Restarted, booted from usb, switched to the corrupted bios and then i wrote the command: atiflash.exe -f -p 0 newbios.bin

Now the fans in idle are under 30%.

But i have another problem (that there was also with the old bios): i can't see with gpu-z the vrm's temperature. I have a screen like this:

(you can see the 50% fan speed when it was in idle...i took the screen with the old bios)

First of all, no need to apologize for your English, I can understand it just fine. :)

Secondly, I'm definitely trying this. I think me trying to flash to the F41_A version (an official release by Gigabyte...) messed up the BIOS "number 2", so yeah, I'm looking for fix for that BIOS.

Two questions though, first one about step 4: I understand from your explanation that the PC needs to be on, while you switch to the corrupted BIOS? Did I understand that correctly? Or do you switch to the corrupted BIOS before turning on the PC?

Second question: you renamed the "R797O3GD.F72" file to "newbios.bin", INCLUDING the extension? (so not newbios.F72" or "newbios.rom"?)

In conclusion, I made a screenshot of my GPU-Z, maybe it can help you. :)

« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 11:54:30 pm by Henk85 »

Lanfi

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2012, 10:58:24 am »
Secondly, I'm definitely trying this. I think me trying to flash to the F41_A version (an official release by Gigabyte...) messed up the BIOS "number 2", so yeah, I'm looking for fix for that BIOS.

So...i don't advice you to install the bios F41_A. I tried to flash this bios with my procedure...the card was working (no black screen on startup) but when i installed the drivers they didn't recognize the card (blue screen at windows startup). I advice you to install the bios posted by Deano120, i installed this bios yesterday and it's working like a charm (card recognized, and perfect fan speed > 25% idle). I tried to stress the card with unigine and sleeping dog and all is ok!

Conclusion? I'am very disappointed because Gigabyte released a bios and a flash tool really unreliable  >:(!

Two questions though, first one about step 4: I understand from your explanation that the PC needs to be on, while you switch to the corrupted BIOS? Did I understand that correctly? Or do you switch to the corrupted BIOS before turning on the PC?

First, you need to be sure you have made ​​the usb stick bootable and copied atiflash and the new bios. Then in the mobo bios you have to select usb stick like first boot device. So, when the computer starts you will see a like dos screen...only in this moment you must switch to the corrupted bios. Then enter the command atiflash.exe -f -p 0 newbios.bin.

Second question: you renamed the "R797O3GD.F72" file to "newbios.bin", INCLUDING the extension? (so not newbios.F72" or "newbios.rom"?)

The acceptable extensions are .rom or .bin. The bios name can be anything you want...i use newbios because it's simple to remember  :)!

Interesting....so....there is a number of GV-R797OC-3GD that doesn't display in gpu-z the vrm's temperature! It's a bit annoying :-\...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 10:59:58 am by Lanfi »

Henk85

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2012, 11:32:15 am »

So...i don't advice you to install the bios F41_A. I tried to flash this bios with my procedure...the card was working (no black screen on startup) but when i installed the drivers they didn't recognize the card (blue screen at windows startup). I advice you to install the bios posted by Deano120, i installed this bios yesterday and it's working like a charm (card recognized, and perfect fan speed > 25% idle). I tried to stress the card with unigine and sleeping dog and all is ok!

Conclusion? I'am very disappointed because Gigabyte released a bios and a flash tool really unreliable  >:(!

First, you need to be sure you have made ​​the usb stick bootable and copied atiflash and the new bios. Then in the mobo bios you have to select usb stick like first boot device. So, when the computer starts you will see a like dos screen...only in this moment you must switch to the corrupted bios. Then enter the command atiflash.exe -f -p 0 newbios.bin.

The acceptable extensions are .rom or .bin. The bios name can be anything you want...i use newbios because it's simple to remember  :)!

Interesting....so....there is a number of GV-R797OC-3GD that doesn't display in gpu-z the vrm's temperature! It's a bit annoying :-\...

Alright, thanks for the explanation! I'll try this tonight and post my findings here. :)

Henk85

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2012, 10:21:24 pm »
It worked! I received a reply today from Gigabyte Support, and they sent me the exact same BIOS they sent to Deano120. So to be sure I used the one they sent me personally, and after using a bootable USB + Atiflash my fans are now at 25% when idling. :)

Thanks for everyone's help, Gigabyte included, and let's hope this thread will help more people with similar issues in the future.

Cheers.

Lanfi

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2012, 09:46:48 am »
I'am very happy for you  ;)!

I hope that Gigabyte:

1) Publish on the support site the correct bios.

2) Gives users a correct procedure to make the flash.

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2012, 09:26:22 pm »
Hi! I found this thread a couple of days ago when googling for people with the same issue as I. I contacted Gigabyte support and asked for the new bios that they sent some of you in this thread. They sent me the bios and said that "...we will update it on our website in these days."
Tried to flash it but got the error code at first. Rebooted, switched bios and tried again and this time it worked :)

Thanks to all of you in this thread and to Gigabyte support.

Sigtran

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2012, 08:15:42 pm »
How come that this F72 bios is only in 65536 bytes in size and original F70 (saved by vga_utility@bios) is 131072 bytes?