Official GIGABYTE Forum

Will you be upgrading to Windows 8?

Re: Will you be upgrading to Windows 8?
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2013, 09:06:03 am »
You are saying that Windows 8 is an upgrade.
I don t think so.

Your wife could very well use OpenSuse or Linux Mint just fine too ,free of charge ,even more safely.

In my opinion "upgrading"  to Windows 8 is a waste of money and will only fill some corporation wallet.

Now, now Vezina...no need to be so negative!

No need to be a Windows 8 hater!

You state that Windows 8 is not an upgrade....

How interesting!

Chew on these facts for a while good friend, then tell me Windows 8 is not an upgrade:

Client Hyper-V (So ability to run VMs built right in)
Much better battery life (by about 30%)
File History (similar to Apples time machine)
AppContainers sandboxed apps.
Slimline memory usage.
ForceASLR and High Entropy ASLR (HEASLR) ..security (Takes advantage of Ivy Bridge' RNG)
"Supervisor Mode Execution Prevention" (SMEP) support
Eliminates access to win32k.sys (Eliminates many security flaws/exploits)
Tickless kernel..lets processor sleep
Reset and refresh your PC (instead of total re-install)
ISO & VHD native mount (Supports Native boot VHD ... boot into OS from a VHD file works great creates a 40 GB harddrive by default for 8 rest is old system D:...dual-boot)
Native PDF reader
Enhanced Task Manager..see at a glance exactly which app is causing your hard drive to grind to a halt,
Windows Defender (True AV...basically now MSE)
Trusted boot (More secure)
Windows Store (Free apps)
SmartScreen (More secure than 7's version)
Storage Spaces (New Drive Extender replacement from WHS could make a good Home Server)
New ribbon for File management (can pause restart file transfers and has graph)
OS itself consumes less RAM and CPU cycles than Windows 7
Windows 8 is that it boots a lot faster than Windows 7
Many hackers have already gone on the record to say that Windows 8 is (and will be) very hard to break into.
Already optimized for SSD (http://forums.mydigitallife.info/...n?p=621681)
Screenshots... Windows Key+Printscreen automatically save a PNG to Pictures
Support for ReFS the new file system, newer better than NTFS
System Wide Search.
Better File Management.
Better Device Management
Better Dual Monitor support.
Better Memory management
Registry is more compact and faster
Boot time: 9 sec cold > 5 seconds warm. Amazing
Seamless Cloud Integration (SkyDrive is pretty awesome).
USB 3.0 support.
Full touch support (This OS is killer with touch displays)
New picture login
Built- in Enhanced version of Narrator...MUCH IMPROVED for those with disabilities... fun for rest of us
..and many more little improvements... its fast!

Beneath the user interface, Windows 8 is in almost all regards a more efficient, more secure, more reliable operating system. From high-speed, hibernation-powered booting to Connected Standby and a tickless kernel, it takes the solid Windows 7 foundation and makes things better.

It is me, Soar...

Trying to fly up, up, and away into more faster and efficient operating systems!

PS Even though I believe Windows 8 is indeed a genuine upgrade, I still was never able to enjoy it long term, even after watching tutorials over and over and playing with it for months.

Finally, a frightening article [especially if you were on the Windows 8 development team at Microsoft] was released March 1st, 2013:

Title of the article: Four months in: Windows 8 adoption is almost at a standstill

Quite shocking when you read/understand the numbers and statistics and compare them with other Microsoft OS releases...

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/149762-four-months-in-windows-8-adoption-is-almost-at-a-standstill

I think it is possible some of the developers, writers, designers of Windows 8 may be going wee-wee in their pants right about now...

« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 09:21:08 am by soarwitheagles »
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
Corsair Vengeance 1600 16GB
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10
Scythe Temp Monitor + Fan Controller

Vezina

• If it s not broken, fix it until it is !
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2013, 09:51:26 am »
You are saying that Windows 8 is an upgrade.
I don t think so.

Your wife could very well use OpenSuse or Linux Mint just fine too ,free of charge ,even more safely.

In my opinion "upgrading"  to Windows 8 is a waste of money and will only fill some corporation wallet.

Now, now Vezina...no need to be so negative!

No need to be a Windows 8 hater!

Not a hater.
I like testing new OS-es from time to time.
The first day i ve tried it i have found  it strange,
The enhancement under the hood may be good but i doubt most of the users care about them as long as Windows 7 remains an excellent OS.
For me personally it just seems useless and not a necessity .

I would still use WinXP on all my machines ,if Direct X would have received updates for it.:)

Windows 8 was intended for mobility and specifically for touch screens ,at least this is how i see it.As for mobility i use Android based devices so i see no reason to pay and use Windows 8. 
Over & Out !

AMD FX (APU-s included) users should install - KB2645594 & KB2646060 under Windows 7

1.ASUS Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 + FX 6300 + H60
2.MSI A88X-G41 PC Mate + A8 5600K + Hyper TX 2
3.Gigabyte F2A75-D3H + A4 5300
4.ASUS AM1M-A + Athlon 5150

Ben

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2013, 11:17:38 am »
EEEK!!! Just read that Micky soft is having an update called "Windows Blue" who thinks up these names, & besides that I thought 'Win 8' was struggling?
so why go for an upgrade if you are already struggling, this is getting ridiculous, plus it's too soon, anyway here is an excerpt from the site, it's a bit long:

Microsoft has officially confirmed Blue, which is an extensive update to Windows 8, bringing more improvements than a basic Service Pack without being a full new version of the OS.
Windows Blue will mark a shift to at least annual updates, similar to how Apple releases OS X versions. It's expected to be a cheap upgrade, if not free, for Windows 8 users.
Blue looks set to arrive this summer, with Frank X. Shaw, Microsoft's corporate vice-president of communications, saying the company planned to reveal more about it at its Build conference at the end of June.
Shaw said the "continuous development cycle" introduced by Blue was "the new normal across Microsoft", confirming the update model will apply to products beyond Windows 8.
He added: "we’ll tune everyday experiences as well as introduce bold, connected and exciting new scenarios. Our product groups are also taking a unified planning approach so people get what they want – all of their devices, apps and services working together wherever they are and for whatever they are doing."
Windows Blue codename
Shaw stressed Blue was merely a codename, saying in a blog post "chances of products being named thusly are slim to none".
Before Shaw's official confirmation of Blue, a few official confirmations of the project and codename had slipped out on Microsoft employees' LinkedIn profiles as well as the company's own job advertisements - and those leaks also revealed some of the upcoming features.
Features
Windows watcher Mary Jo Foley said the "feature pack" would include UI changes as well as updated apps, such as a fully touch-enabled Metro version of Excel.
Screenshots of a leaked version - build 9364, completed on 15 March - were posted on a Polish Windows site and spotted by The Verge, revealing changes to how the Live Tiles and apps will work on the Start screen, formerly known as Metro.
The screenshots reveal smaller tile sizes, allowing for different arrangements on the Start screen, while apps will be able to "snap" and split the screen 50/50, the same as in in Windows 7. The Verge said as many as four apps can be snapped alongside each other, with multi-monitor support.
Charms and gestures will also be updated, and there will be new alarm, sound recorder and calculator apps in Metro, as well as Internet Explorer 11, although few features of the browser have been leaked.
Microsoft also appears to be making it easier to adjust settings from Metro, without going directly into the Control Panel.
Previous reports from The Verge suggested Windows Blue will include driver updates, while one analyst expects a major driver for Windows Blue will be 7in tablets, bringing improved support for smaller screens and a lower price, necessary to keep costs in the budget range.
A leaked video highlighted by The Verge reveals Microsoft is working to improve touch in Blue, and will feature an updated version of the Fresh Paint app

Read more: Windows Blue: everything you need to know | News | PC Pro http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/380713/windows-blue-everything-you-need-to-know#ixzz2OpekiAz7
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3
i7 2600 (4.00GHZ)
Ripjaws X 2@8GB XL (1.7V)
Kingston Blu Hyper 2@2GB (1.7V)
Corsair TX 650
HD 6870 1gb
blu ray + dvd
1T wd hdd
500gb WD hdd
Gigabyte Armor+MX case
Noctua air cooling (4 fans)
AOC 27'
Win 8 pro Full

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2013, 08:16:10 am »
Ben,

Thanks for posting the info and article.  Very interesting indeed!

I hope this new version of Microsoft operating system works out for everyone!

For me, even after obtaining over 20 of the Windows 8 licenses, I have decided to remain with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

No matter how long and hard I tried to adjust and accommodate for Windows 8, I never really was able to enjoy it long term.  For usage on a desktop computer, I found it terribly frustrating.  I think I would like to use it on a phone and/or tablet, but never again on a desktop computer.

I simply removed it from all my machines with the exception of my wife's i-5 laptop.  Somehow, she likes Windows 8.

Soar

AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

Ben

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2013, 10:13:05 am »
Anytime, friend.

At least it is going to be a freebie, I suppose.

Anyway have a good Easter, & not too many chocolate's, got to watch the old cholesterol eh?.

Ben.

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3
i7 2600 (4.00GHZ)
Corsair TX 650
HD 6870 1gb
blu ray + dvd
1T wd hdd
500gb WD hdd
Gigabyte Armor+MX case
AOC 27'
Win 8 pro Full

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2013, 05:58:21 am »
LOL, well, Ben, you are right...I must watch the chocolates very carefully as that has been my weakness in the past.

I will keep my eyes open with you regarding this new upgrade and see how everything works out.

As I stated earlier, I never did grow to like and enjoy Windows 8.  I found myself hating parts of it, and for me, Windows 7 work just fine.

Hopefully, the Windows code name BLUE will change some of the more frustrating aspects of Windows 8!

If not, I am destined to remain with Windows 7 for some time.....

Happy Easter to you too and don't eat too many Easter Bunnies!

Soar
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

JD000

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2013, 05:21:49 am »
No, I'll be sticking with Windows 7   

I see no reason to update when my current version is going well and well supported by developers.

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2013, 06:52:07 pm »
Yeah, I upgraded when it was released. I'm currently using the Pro edition and I've never had any issue of sorts (I can't say the same of Win 7, unfortunately).

Honestly, for those that use it on desktops/laptops without touchscreen monitors, if you don't like the Metro UI,  there is no need to get used with it at all.
After installing Win 8 I always install http://startisback.com/, so I've the benefits of Win 8 with the "same" comfort of previous Wins.
Sure, there are other ways to get back Start button, but I find this faster. Install and forget it.

Regards,
Max

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2013, 09:38:45 am »
Hi everyone!

Well, just wondering what everyone here thinks of the new Windows 8...

I have test driven it now for several months and find it interesting, but I am not sure if I would like to upgrade my personal computer to use Windows 8 permenently.

Anyone have any specific ideas, suggestions, comments, advice, etc. on Windows 8?

I wish I could create a post here that enables people to vote on Windows 8!

How about choose an option?

Yes, I'm already running it!       
Yes, I will be installing it soon.    
Yes, I will be buying it before the end of the year       
I'm on the fence       
No, I'll be sticking with Windows 7       
No, I'll be sticking with Windows XP       
No, I'll be sticking with Windows Vista       
No, I'll be sticking with Mac OS!       
No, I'll be sticking with ________________.

I am trying to get more input from people so I may make a more educated decision.

Soar

Windows 8 Sucks ! it is for kids with palm toys and girls with mobile phone glued to their hands.
Serious people keep using Windows XP SP3 or Win 7.

« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2013, 04:54:51 pm »
I upgraded and i love it... however it will be so much better when 8.1 comes out as theyve finally pulled together all of the UI inconsistencies that drove me nuts.

Ben

« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2013, 02:43:21 pm »
Merry Christmas everyone, well almost.

Speculation, I just heard on the grapevine that 'Microsoft' is bringing out besides win 8.1 & 9 but also 10 will be coming out & will be based on the cloud system, so in essence 'Micky Soft' would handle all the data & info etc in their main servers & you would just download the contents.

I don't like this idea, I really hope that this is indeed just speculation & not fact.

What do you guys think of this & have you heard any more about it?

Ben.

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3
i7 2600 (4.00GHZ)
Corsair TX 650
HD 6870 1gb
blu ray + dvd
1T wd hdd
500gb WD hdd
Gigabyte Armor+MX case