Official GIGABYTE Forum

EFI or no EFI?

AgentFXA

• none
Re: EFI or no EFI?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2013, 11:24:08 pm »
Okay, didn't know that AMI holds the UEFI bios and btw my error log dumps this even I got the latest FC bios

X570 Aorus Elite Wifi / Ryzen 2700x / Gigabyte Radeon RX 7900 XT Gaming OC 20G Graphics Card / 16 GB HyperX Predator 3200 / SeaSonic 850W / Tt View 71 TG / Win10x64

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 01:00:26 am »
 :) Slowly getting together a working EFI booting dual boot system.

For anybody who is interested.  The EFI specification can be verified by loading an Ubuntu installer and at grub options screen when booted EFI mode use the
Code: [Select]
lsefisystab command to confirm vendor and EFI version. On this motherboard doing this confirms Tianocore and EFI 1.1 as EFI type and version.  Which is also confirmed at the rodsbooks page specific to Gigabytes Hybrid-EFI.

As mentioned earlier due to losing a partition which left my Windows unusable i reinstalled in BIOS mode to get working system again.  Have just completed a non-destructive conversion from MBR to GPT successfuly which means now have an EFI windows install again. The guide i followed in achieving this uses GPTGen and instruction on "How to" are found at this http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/14286.converting-windows-bios-installation-to-uefi.aspx tutorial.   Backing up the boot files should allow fairly easy reinstatement after firmware decides to reset again...  or if i mount gpt drive using tools that can not handle gpt...

It is looking like i may have to do a BIOS install of Ubuntu before converting to UEFI for a fully EFI booting dual boot system as after trying latest releases of other distros as well as trying newer and older flavours of Ubuntu still can not get an EFI install happening on this hardware for a linux EFI install. So maybe some of the comments here may be of some use :¬p

The UEFI specs webpage and the rodsbooks webpages confirm EFI shell and EFI GUI are not part of the UEFI specification but is easy enough to add the shell of your choosing in order to help manage the EFI system.
Model Name : GA-A75-UD4H(rev. 1.0)
M/B Rev : 1.0
BIOS Ver : F8a
VGA Brand : Radeon  Model : HD6550D  Drivers:9.002-120928m-149042C-ATI  12.10 Catalyst
CPU Brand : AMD Model : 3870K Speed : 3.0GHz
Operation System : Windows8   Ubuntu 12.10
Memory Brand : G.Skill Type : DDR3
Memory Size : 2x4GB

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 10:51:39 am »
"On the other hand AMI puts some bugs into the code to make Linux users unhappy."  and Award also.

I find it truly remarkable a major well established company getting any business at all considering they struggle to uphold their agreements with other major companies.
The yellow badges indicating the hardware i bought was meeting the criteria of using EFI and secure boot have disappeared.  I can not install linux distrubutions due to firmware being hardcoded outwith EFI specification.
Gigabyte appears to be a law unto themselves.  Even telling concerned customers they should have bought a higher spec model if they wanted to do certain things with their hardware.

I can not see how a company who behaves in such a manner keeping their customer base.  I am not a lawyer and do not wish to be reason for concern but am very unhappy with the level of customer service and underhanded approach to things this company seems to have adopted.

Maybe it is time for Gigabyte to re-evluate their options in order to start widening their customer base and not cut their own throat especially in these modern times.

</STEAM>
Model Name : GA-A75-UD4H(rev. 1.0)
M/B Rev : 1.0
BIOS Ver : F8a
VGA Brand : Radeon  Model : HD6550D  Drivers:9.002-120928m-149042C-ATI  12.10 Catalyst
CPU Brand : AMD Model : 3870K Speed : 3.0GHz
Operation System : Windows8   Ubuntu 12.10
Memory Brand : G.Skill Type : DDR3
Memory Size : 2x4GB