Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte HD 7970 OC voltage locked ??

Gigabyte HD 7970 OC voltage locked ??
« on: November 14, 2012, 09:54:46 am »
Greetings,

Im trying to overclock this card a little, just to see what it can do, but when I try to overclock past 1050 MHz core clock I get a screen freezing and drivers crashing. I figured out that it needs a voltage tweak, so I tried every possible way to do it, but still couldn't manage to do it. Only idea that comes to my mind is that this card is voltage locked. But, is it really? If so, that would be such shame regarding that great cooler that it has.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 12:15:39 pm by Gran Torino »

Sigtran

Re: Gigabyte HD 7970 OC voltage locked ??
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 08:13:37 pm »
Having the same problem. PCB is v2.1 and bios F70. Voltage locked, maximum stable OC is around 1060MHz which is miserable considering the default is 1000MHz and the card hase a big potential (Windforce with 8mm heatpipes, good vrm cooling, triangle cool technology, ultra durable technology -2oz pcb, solid caps, ferite core, low rds chokes...). It is a pity that $400 card with so much potential is so much crippled by locking the voltage.

It is also misleading and unfair to buyers as previous versions which were reviewed on various the internet sites was voltage unlocked.

Also, other vendors (MSI, Sapphire, Asus) have their cards voltage unlocked.

GIGABYTE, please release a unlocked voltage BIOS for this card!

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 03:13:11 pm »
me locked too. stable OC max 1040MHz PCB v 2.1 bios ver. F.60  i hoping for new updated version of bios.

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 10:39:39 pm »
I have a rev 2.1 card that came with F60 stock, it's locked. I've also had a lengthy discussion with Gigabyte support and after they lead me on a wild goose chase with vague, unspecific answers for around 2 weeks they basically just told me that yes, the card is locked and that they won't help me with it, because "it could damage the card" and because "overclocking is not guaranteed". Bad support, bad attitude towards customers, this was my first Gigabyte product since the socket A days and I'm thoroughly disappointed.

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 01:53:22 pm »
Thank you for your kindly mail and inquiry. For your information, due to the specification and chipset design, it is not available to adjust GPU voltage control with OC GURU II. Sorry for the inconvenience.
 their answer.maybe when more people buy this card,they made a bios with unlocked voltage

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 04:24:43 pm »
That's an outright lie, voltage is adjustable, you can lower the voltage with stock BIOS and some people have reported success with flashing BIOS versions from different cards and increasing voltage to 1.256V.

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 03:36:39 pm »
yes, i know but that solution doesnt work for me-using atiwinflash...maybe with atiflash from dos.if you find any solution of this problem please post here

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 07:06:08 pm »
I have not found anything that worked for me, but check out this thread, some people have had more luck:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1294856/cant-increase-voltage-gigabyte-7970-windforce-3x-gv-r797oc-3gd/110

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 09:02:28 am »
yes, i know but that solution doesnt work for me-using atiwinflash...maybe with atiflash from dos.if you find any solution of this problem please post here

ATIflash trough DOS is the only correct way, but do it at your own risk. And do not use Gigabyte flashing software from their website (VGA@BIOS or VGA Easy Boost) because it will probably brick your card.

Sigtran

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 04:11:53 pm »
Once again, it is a big minus to Gigabyte... Card has all preconditions to be good overclocker - (windforce with 8mm heatpipes, good vrm cooling, triangle cool technology), quality components (ultra durable technology -2oz pcb, solid caps, ferite core, low rds chokes), and yet somehow, Gigabyte somewhere messed it up and had to lock the voltage.

AND IN 7970OC early versions, GPU voltage WAS NOT LOCKED, and those version reviews are all over the web - so it is misleading to current buyers who are mostly unaware that default GPU voltage is locked on current version of same card!!!! SHAME YOU GIGABYTE, this is the last card I am buying from you!

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 09:13:58 pm »
me too.i disappointed from this card. good reviews and tests, but reality is different.

Mosc_007

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 11:09:10 am »
At least your cards work.

The Nvidia 660 Ti, 670 and 680 are all locked as well.

BUT, The voltage they are locked at is to low for the clocks they have set. At least 3 DX11 games are crashing the GPU's because of Vcore being set to low. The only way to get these cards to run these few games is to UNDER CLOCK the GPU. Which is damn insulting.

The 5xx series cards have the same problem with 3 recent DX11 games. But at least they are not locked and increasing Vcore stops them crashing. Don't have to Under clock them.

Charles

Sigtran

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 07:59:52 pm »
If the card doesn't work properly on stock voltage and clock, it must be considered as deffective under warranty - if I were on your place, I would apply for card replacement/refund.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 08:00:40 pm by Sigtran »

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 06:11:26 am »
Hi

To change the voltage should close OC_GURU foremost because he is blocking the VCC. Then I utlise MSI Afterburner to change my voltages and my frequencies. With OC_GURU can only reduce but not increase voltage!

Xfire

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 01:46:16 am »
Gigabyte, you must release an unlocked BIOS. These cards are bought, because the reviews describe them as good for overclocking. Users pay more than a reference for a better cooler, PCB design and power sections.
Change the operating specifications, can be considered misleading to buyers.
You need to consider our complaints  in order to keep buyer loyalty. If you don't do this, you have already lost a customer.

Paolo.