Official GIGABYTE Forum

Back to Gigabyte :)

bhavv

Back to Gigabyte :)
« on: November 16, 2012, 10:44:18 am »
So yesterday my PC decided to suddenly die on me and refuses to start up. I quickly diagnosed that the problem is either my 2.5 year old Rampage 3 extreme, or my 5 year old tagan BZ 1100 power supply. When connected to the power, the motherboard LED light up, and when switched on the power supply also lights up and the fans connected straight to the PSU work, but nothing connected to the motherboard works, none of the case, CPU or GPU fans power on, and no output to the monitor.

First I just wanted to get the motherboard replaced, but then I spotted that OCUK still had the high end orange Gigabyte X58a-OC in stock for just £139.99. So I simply ordered that and a new XFX 850 watt PSU, if only to have new parts and warranties. Though I can test the new PSU first to confirm if it is the motherboard thats faulty or not, I only have 5 months warranty left on the Asus board and won't ever be able to find a new replacement if it dies after that for my I7 980, so I may as well just have the new gigabyte board and sell the Asus or its replacement. Replacing a 5 year old PSU is also is also a good thing to be doing after a PC dies.

This should probably be in tech support but since it isn't related to a gigabyte product (yet), I put it in here.