Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-870A-USB3(rev. 3.1) ACPI and other issues

GA-870A-USB3(rev. 3.1) ACPI and other issues
« on: November 22, 2012, 08:32:23 pm »
This is my first post, so hi everybody!  :)

My specs:
  • Mainboard: GA-870A-USB3 (rev. 3.1), bios F5g
  • Graphic card: GV-N56GOC-1GI (GeForce GTX 560)
  • CPU: AMD FX(tm)-4100 Quad-Core Processor 3,6 GHz
  • RAM: Kingston 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz (promised)/1333 MHz (actual)
  • Mouse mentioned: Easy Touch ET-33 NEMO

I have a few problems/questions:

1. On Windows 8 there is no audio out of the box. After installing drivers from Gigabyte's website (requiring users to manually install drivers is just stupid) and reboot I got bluescreen about wrong amount of IRQs. (Oh, forget it. It looks like this was related to Avast antivirus.  ::)) After 2nd reboot sound is finally working, but front panel doesn't detect my headphones. I had to fiddle with settings (disable front panel detection) to make it "work". (It doesn't work properly, because it doesn't detect headphones. It just assumes that there are some headphones plugged in. For example as a side effect it doesn't mute speakers when I plug in headphones.) Front panel issues may or may not be a fault of PC's case.

2. (may be outdated) On Windows 7 I had to manually install Etron usb3 drivers, audio drivers and then also fiddle with audio settings a lot to make front global audio and panel audio "work". If there is any Gigabyte employee, please forward this info (and above one) to someone responsible for making Microsoft include drivers in Windows. UX is important.

3! Linux distributions won't boot without "acpi=off" and "nolapic" parameters  :'( (see this link for more info: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1007508). This has a lot of nasty side effects (Only one CPU core is used, I have to brutally shut my PC down by holding power button, external HDDs won't spin down after power is off, etc.). Can you tell me if this is fault of motherboard, processor, Linux kernel or what?

EDIT: Turning AMD C1E off in BIOS helps. But still it is an issue...

4. I have to plug mouse out and in usb2 slot every time I boot my PC or plug it into usb3 slot (therefore waste that slot) to make it work. It may or may not be fault of mouse or PC's case.

5. I have bought an already assembled PC. At the time both mainboard's BIOS version and newest version on your website was F5d. AMD FX-4100 processor is told to require F5g BIOS (See http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=3788 . F5g is marked as beta BIOS - WTF?!). But it worked! (Except issues described above; after updating to F5g issues still exists.) Can it be the cause of those issues?

Thanks in advance!  ;D
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 09:02:11 pm by elgregor »

Re: GA-870A-USB3(rev. 3.1) ACPI and other issues
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 09:45:21 pm »
WTF? I can't edit my post. Too much time has passed?

Those issues are now kind of resolved:

3. It's a minor issue now and a Linux one. (Even my power usage isn't higher than before, because my CPU rarely was idle - either BOINC or games or any other app was using it.)

4. It's an issue with the mouse, other one worked OK.

5. It looks like that page simply got updated when new BIOS was released.

So this thread can be now closed, Gigabyte employees still will be able to read points 1. and 2. and do something with it. Sorry for kind of spamming your forum.  :-[