Official GIGABYTE Forum

When using a new HDD, do I set the SATA settings to ACHI or IDE?

When using a new HDD, do I set the SATA settings to ACHI or IDE?
« on: December 09, 2012, 04:42:04 am »
Hi again!

Ok, I just finished another new build.  Trying to figure out how to set the BIOS for a WD SATA HDD.  Do I use IDE or ACHI?

Thanks,

Soar
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
Corsair Vengeance 1600 16GB
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10
Scythe Temp Monitor + Fan Controller

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: When using a new HDD, do I set the SATA settings to ACHI or IDE?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 08:59:31 am »
Hi Soar,

I thought you would have known this by now but, I reckon to much rum punch during thanksgiving has had an effect!

It is really a matter of personal choice and, if it were my build, I would go for AHCI as it will make things easier if you want to add an  SSD later on and transfer a disk image.

If you want to run with IDE there are no problems and I have sometimes found that on basic systems, this method works best as there is less chance of DVD/CD drives not working properly.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Re: When using a new HDD, do I set the SATA settings to ACHI or IDE?
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 11:03:10 am »
Hi Soar,

I thought you would have known this by now but, I reckon to much rum punch during thanksgiving has had an effect!

It is really a matter of personal choice and, if it were my build, I would go for AHCI as it will make things easier if you want to add an  SSD later on and transfer a disk image.

If you want to run with IDE there are no problems and I have sometimes found that on basic systems, this method works best as there is less chance of DVD/CD drives not working properly.

Absic,

LOL!  Well, not rum, but Vodka...it was on sale and even though I rarely drink alcohol, I thought I would try a sip...oh my...you are right...it totally messes with my memory as well as a host of other things too.  After a few too many experiments, I gave the bottle to my wife to dispose of properly.  Unfortunately, I do NOT fall into the category of those who can drink and maintain a lifestyle of excellence.  So even though I purchased a bottle that was 1.5 liters, I only tried 8 shots, and quickly discovered it was much more powerful than my weak human will.

Ok, I am building 7-8 new rigs.  The first one, I initially set for ACHI, then halfway through the build, decided to try IDE.

Unfortuntaelay, [yes, I know...too much Vodka], Windows 8 would not accept updates...really strange as this is the first time I experienced this....

I had to wipe my drives clean and then decided to go with Windows 7 Ultimate.  No problems at all since then....

Presently, I am not sure if it was the mid way switch between ACHI and IDE, or the Vodka.

After loading Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and leaving the settings on IDE, everything seems to work just fine.

In conclusion, I have discovered the best idea is to work on my new computer builds without drinking alcohol.

Dude, Absolut Vodka can mess up the greatest computer builds of all time!

Moral of the story: Even though many stores in the USA reduce the price of alcohol more than 60% for Christmas sale, it is NOT a good idea to take advantage of the sale and drink if you can't handle alcohol [which is surely the case with me].

Hiccup!

Soar

PS I normally, NEVER drink alcohol [I do not like the taste, the effects, or the cost], but while shopping, I saw what appeared to be an awesome Christmas deal...now I realize it may have been an awesome deal for others...but now for me...  Dude, my head is spinning even as I type this...and I feel as if I am on a ship out in the ocean with a massive storm...

« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 11:14:01 am by soarwitheagles »
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold