gigmhe

GA-H77M-D3H i7-3770S "electronics" smell after 8 days
« on: November 28, 2012, 07:23:56 am »
My new build:

GA-H77M-D3H(rev. 1.1), i7-3770S, not overclocked, BIOS: F9
no video card, 120GB SSD (no hard disk), no add-on cards
Crucial 8GB (2x4GB), 1600 (8-8-8-24)
Seasonic SS-400FL fanless power supply
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo cooler (using one push fan)
Silverstone PS07 case (using just one of the two front case fans, at low speed), Win 7 64-bit SP1

After running more than one week (24 hours a day at full load), the motherboard is still emitting an irritating "electronics" smell.

Idle core temps (via Realtemp) are about 27C; full load core temps max at 64C (well under 103C, which I believe is TJ Max for the I7-3770S).

The memory cards are cool.  The blue (Northbridge?) heatsink is warm to somewhat hot to the touch.

No smoke, but the smell eventually fills the room, and is slightly caustic.

The main source of the smell is coming out the lower back of the case, from the exhaust of the heatsink fan, which pushes air through the heatsink, and then comes out of lower back vents of the case.

A small odor is coming from the (fanless) power supply, which vents out the top of the case. I don't think the power supply is the problem.

Total input power (measured by Kill-a-Watt) is 27W at idle, and 96W at full load. 

The smell is more obvious at full load -- and dissipates only after the computer is turned off.

To eliminate the heatsink fan as a source, I removed it and ran the system at 30% load (resulting in max temps of 65C).  Same smell.

I have two theories:

1. The smell is coming from the motherboard.  If so, for how long, and can anything be done? 

2. The (heated) thermal paste is giving off a smell. (I applied a "pea size" amount.)

Cooler Master says that neither the paste nor the heatsink is producing an odor -- and that the problem is probably a bad capacitor. 

I can see all the capacitors, and they show no signs of leakage or cracking.  Also, the board has performed properly so far (no crashes or blue screens).

Gigabyte has not yet responded to my support submission.

As the temps at full load seem good, I'm reluctant to reapply thermal paste -- but will do so if necessary.

Any suggestions?

Re: GA-H77M-D3H i7-3770S "electronics" smell after 8 days
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 10:44:24 pm »
Not sure what irritating electronics smell means, but whenever I build a new system I have that new car type toxic chemically curing smell.  After a week or two it seems to go away after the chemicals cure all the way.  Mb are made from a type of fiberglass material and it can take a month or more for it to cure completely.

To make sure, remove everything from your case and run it on a bench in open air.  Then you can probably pinpoint it better.

I'd wager it being the PSU if it isn't a cure type smell.

Luck
-=Mark=-
Lian-Li PC-Q06 GigaByte A75-UD4H AMD A8-3870K 8GB (2x4GB) G. Skill DDR3-1866 CL8 HD 6550D Antec 450 Platinum (EA-450)

Danger Den Torture Rack Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4 i7-2600K 4GB (2 x 2GB) G.Skill 1333 CL9 XFX 6870 Double-D Sparkle 700Watt 80Plus Platin