Official GIGABYTE Forum

Help - hardrive compatible with moboard ?

zibafu

Help - hardrive compatible with moboard ?
« on: December 28, 2009, 09:59:37 pm »
hi, I have a Gigabyte 965P-DS4 motherboard, and recently bought a barracuda 1500gb sata hardrive, plugged it in and the bios, and windows is only reading 500gb, ive verified that the hardrive is in fact the 1500 gb one, but this has left me baffled as to why its not reading it properly, ive heard, that its possible that because this motherboard is a few years old it might not be able to read the hardrive fully.  Mainly I would like this verified if possible before I proceed as, obviously if its the board not fullly compatible with such a large drive then I would have to upgrade the board too, but if it is fully compatible then that leaves me wondering wtf it could be.

oh and I am running vista home preimum 64 if anyones wondering

Pottypete

Re: Help - hardrive compatible with moboard ?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 10:09:52 pm »
hi,
Seagate has a big drive enabler patch on their website for this purpose,
Would be a good idea also to download the latest bios for the mobo.
here,. http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/Products/Motherboard/Default.aspx
cheers

zibafu

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 10:24:12 pm »
do you have a link for the seagate big drive patch ?

zibafu

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 10:52:15 am »
hmmmm according to the info on that page, its designed for windows 2000/xp where any drive bigger than 137gb is connected, I am on windows vista home premium 64 bit, and its not only windows telling me its 500gb its my bios telling me this also, sorry for not clairfying that to start with

Pottypete

« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 11:28:47 am by Pottypete »

zibafu

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 01:59:44 pm »
yeah autoscanned the drive a couple of times to be sure and both times its come back up as 500gigs, seagates website has a live chat interface tool so I can speak to customer support directly, sortof like an msn deal but on their website, but its shut now, have to get on it in the morning my time, gonna have to leave it till thursday now before contacting them this way.