Official GIGABYTE Forum

Bent pin on Gigabyte z77x-d3h

Bent pin on Gigabyte z77x-d3h
« on: October 11, 2012, 01:36:50 pm »
I recently purchased Gigabyte z77x-d3h motherboard along with compoents for a full build from Scan. I soon discovered that it didn't work and contacted Scan - after having waited about 3 days for a response I went out and bought another identical board to prove to myself that it was the faulty component, which indeed it was.

I returned the board to Scan within 7 days for a refund, but they refused my RMA on the grounds that it has a 'bent pin', which apparently can only be my fault.

They claim that I should have checked all the pins before installing the processor. I fail to see how I could have caused this problem as installing an i7 on a board like this is pretty much fool-proof, and I was very careful. If a pin can bend when the CPU has been installed in accordance with the installation instructions then I don't see how this is the user's fault.

I suspect that the pin was bent on delivery, but Scan claim that this is impossible given that Gigabyte check all boards before they leave the factory. Personally I don't buy this argument as a certain percentage of all boards are going to be faulty, not matter what level of quality of control you employ - it's the nature of manufacturing.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to how to proceed with this matter. I'm pretty sure that I'm not at fault, but Scan's intransigence on this issue has left me with little room for manoeuver.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: Bent pin on Gigabyte z77x-d3h
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 04:55:37 pm »
Hi and welcome.

Occasionally someone will come onto the forum with a problem similar to yours.  The main issue is that it is hard to prove either way, who was at fault. It was a shame that you didn't check the motherboard before installation and pick up the bent pin then, if indeed that was the case. Now you have two motherboards in your possession with only one working model. To my way of thinking this was a bad move on your part. Even if you can get the board repaired you are going to be left with two boards.

Scan is doing the same as any other retailer in their position and refusing liability. The only course of action I can suggest is to email Gigabyte's UK office and see if they will help you out as a gesture of goodwill. I have known them to do it before, but on a purely one off basis and with no comeback so you might be lucky. Try contacting them through this address:

returns@gbt-tech.co.uk     RMA section UK

Please let us know how you get on.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 05:42:36 pm »
Thanks very much for the reply.

I sent it back for a refund within 7 days - they agreed to give me a refund providing that the motherboard arrived back in the same condition that they'd sent it in, hence I wouldn't have ended up with two boards if they hadn't of blamed me.

I've since realised that there was no way they were going to accept the RMA anyway - the guy on the phone said that Gigabyte check all motherboards before they leave the factory, hence any fault must be down to my installation. That by definition means that any fault would have been attributed to myself.

I should have stuck with Amazon who are always great with returns. I'll certainly never buy from Scan again.

I'll send Gigabyte a mail to see if they can help. Thanks again.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 07:46:14 am »
To be fair to Scan they responded the same way that any other retailer would have done and I suspect even Amazon would have done the same. I agree though that they have an extrtemely good aftersales service. The bent pin issue is something that we have discussed on the forum many times but it is a difficult thing to make a global decision on and I think on the whole Gigabyte has handled it well.

As I said please let us know how you get on with it.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 09:12:48 pm »
I have a z77-d3h which seems to not be able to handle an i7 3770k with 1600 mems, despite supposed compatibility published on Gigabyte site, seems to me you always need to read the fine print when it comes to Gigabyte.

rebbae

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 01:47:03 am »
I had a similar problem with my BE AMD Phenom. They (the company I bought the mobo and the cpu) blaimed me for the pin problem, so that they won't have any hassle with the real company which import almost all the HW to my country. I thought f***'em and bought a new one, also a BE Phenon II X2, did everything I did with the first cpu and now it's working for 2 years now I believe, OC-ed and everything.

The real problem is that some companies just do not care - if you paid for the component and are sure you know how to diy, they do not care it a pin bends or brakes - it's your problem. Not even if you check before (I do since I spent too much money on a cpu with no longer works). Now, I check everything I buy in the store, if not buying online. I'd advise you to do the same. Check every inch and mm and notch and even the shadow it casts on the greedy salesman eyes glaring. They just want you to buy, buy, buy. Oh, there seems to be a problem with the product? Your fault, not ours.
Based upon about a half of my lifetime making my own rigs and selling them or helping other - as I said, check every nook and cranny if you're buying in a shop, and if online - when the package delivers - open it up and check it before you sign the package delivery.
The customer is always right policy no longer exists, unfortunately. The customer overpays for s*** he does not need is the new one. Sorry to be so blunt in the last sentence.

Ben

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 06:48:16 am »
G'Day rebbae.

I had the same problem years ago regard bent pins on the mobo, now whenever I purchase a new board I ask the the sales assistant to fit my CPU to the mobo, that way they can't say I damaged it.

Ben.
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3
i7 2600 (4.00GHZ)
Ripjaws X 2@8GB XL (1.7V)
Kingston Blu Hyper 2@2GB (1.7V)
Corsair TX 650
HD 6870 1gb
blu ray + dvd
1T wd hdd
500gb WD hdd
Gigabyte Armor+MX case
Noctua air cooling (4 fans)