Official GIGABYTE Forum

overclocking vishera/bulldozer turbo on a ga-990FXA-ud5

overclocking vishera/bulldozer turbo on a ga-990FXA-ud5
« on: December 19, 2012, 01:12:01 am »
Have used AOD to overclock an FX-8350 on a ud5 and came across some issues. What was manually set in bios from AOD as 4.2/4.7/4.7 became 4.1/4.2/4.7 when viewed in windows 7 64 bit.

Details: For the FX-8350 AOD has two levels of turbo, 0 and 1, gigabyte only has one in the latest f11 bios.  Entries for the regular and turbo appeared in these two turbos with the regular becoming 0.1 less than the intended regular.  Also when using AOD, turbo 0 never appeared to be used and the same with gigabyte bios.   Most all other bios settings where default.

Why turbo overclocking?  It allows for much faster single threaded games (which is most games) and appears to limit itself to around 50c, which could be useful in unconditioned environments.

Can anyone else confirm the above issue or successful resolution of these issues with gigabyte bios (f10, f11, unreleased beta)?

Thank you.

[reposted to correct section]

Re: overclocking vishera/bulldozer turbo on a ga-990FXA-ud5
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 06:52:32 pm »
Note that only the first two of the three BIOS settings shown below are viewable with the fx-8350 installed.  From the gigabyte documentation:

"MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.) Menu...

Core Performance Boost
Allows you to determine whether to enable the Core Performance Boost (CPB) technology, a CPU performance-boost technology. (Default: Enabled)

CPB Ratio
Allows you alter the ratio for the CPB. The adjustable range is dependent on the CPU being installed. (Default: Auto)

Turbo CPB
Allows you to determine whether to improve CPU performance. (Default: Disabled)"
{Turbo CPB does not currently show for FX-8350}

A possible theory is that the BIOS settings are loaded at boot as if the fx-8350 is a turbo core 1.0 rather than a turbo core 3.0 processor.  In AOD with a FX-8350 Boost level-1 allows various cores to boost (which I set to 4 in AOD) for short periods of time while the other cores are still functional. I would think this should match to the CPB ratio.  I never saw boost level-0 function with windows 7 even without overclocking. I believe boost level-0 to be the style from thuban X6 (1100T, etc) where the non-boosted cores must be idle.  AOD also allows the number of cores to be set (0, 2, 4, or 6) which I chose 4 to match the modules).  I have found very little public documentation on this topic from AMD or others.  More data would increase the chances of this being fixed.

Which of the above BIOS settings show for the ga-990fx-ud5 when a bulldozer is installed? Do all three show for any other Visheras?

Thank you for your help