Official GIGABYTE Forum

790XT-UD4P - Installing AMD RAID drivers for storage drives

790XT-UD4P - Installing AMD RAID drivers for storage drives
« on: January 13, 2010, 04:47:29 am »
Hello all, I came here hoping to get some advice:

My current drive arrangement is as follows:

-Win 7 x64 on an SSD
-2 storage/misc SATA HDD's

All are plugged into the regular yellow SATA ports on my motherboard. I installed Win7 with the Native IDE SATA controller (no RAID drivers involved). I then bought two 1TB drives, which I want to set up in RAID0 for storage usage. At first, I set these drives up on the G-SATA ports, installed G-SATA RAID drivers, and created a RAID array with G-SATA. This worked alright, but now I want to try using the AMD RAID instead of the G-SATA RAID. The Catalyst installer refuses to install AMD RAID drivers, so I can't switch to the RAID controller (or else windows won't boot, thus preventing me from installing the drivers needed to boot!). Pretty aggravating, to say the least.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks a bunch in advance!

Pottypete

Re: 790XT-UD4P - Installing AMD RAID drivers for storage drives
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 08:26:16 am »
Hi,
I think you have to install the raid drivers before o/s install, Not afterwards!,
Cheers
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 08:27:05 am by Pottypete »

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 02:10:24 pm »
I was able to install RAID drivers for the G-SATA ports and then switch its controller from Native IDE to RAID without a hitch. Is the same not possible with the AMD ports? (If so, major design fail by AMD :'(). Basically, I (think I) simply need a way to install the Catalyst RAID drivers without using the Catalyst auto-detection program.

Thanks,

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 04:27:13 am »
Another question: if I turn on the RAID controller mode, then my DVD drive no longer works; i.e. I can't get into Windows Setup to reformat/install RAID drivers. It just gives me a black screen of death saying bootup failed due to missing devices. What gives??  :-[

I'm going to try plugging my DVD drive into the GSATA ports as IDE, and my HD's into the mobo as RAID, and if that doesn't work then I guess I'm screwed.