Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev 1.1 Temps, Vcore & LLC Issues.

GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev 1.1 Temps, Vcore & LLC Issues.
« on: January 03, 2013, 09:15:07 pm »
What's up guys, I'm new to this forum but I am not new to overclocking and I wanted to ask a few things about the UD3 rev 1.1  to see if anyone could help me better understand the following issues or if anyone else is having similar issues.

I'm not sure if this problem is specific to Gigabyte 990FX motherboards are just the 990FX chipsets in general so please bare with me. So far I'm having trouble understanding what the heck Load line calibration does on this board and why my Vcore and idle temps are all over the place.

Before I upgraded I had a Phenom II X4 975 Clocked @ 4.1GHz on air completely stable for years until one day my ASUS Crosshair III Formula went up in smoke (Literally) LOL. The LLC option on the crosshair III held my Vcore set completely stable with no fluctuation at all and there was only a Disable or enabled option.

With the UD3 rev 1.1 (Yes I have the latest BIOS) LLC has Auto, Extreme, High, Medium, Low and Disabled options but they all seem to do the exact same thing. They all allow the Vcore to fluctuate rather violently; much more than 0.25 increments at a time.

Before you ask, yes I have all of the following disabled: CPU Boost, Cool & quiet, C1E & C6E so I don’t understand why exactly it’s happening.

I'm over clocking an FX-8320 with a CM Hyper 212+ in Push/Pull Configuration and my idle temps range from 17C to 25C repeatedly, which has never happened to me before. It could be the Arctic Silver 5 still needs to be cured but since my Vcore is acting crazy I suspect it may have something to with this as well.

I’m currently clocked at 4.5 GHz Prime 95 stable for an hour with Vcore set to 1.45 and LLC set to high, hitting max temps of 52C so I still have plenty of headroom before I reach my temperature threshold. I can’t get anything above 4.5Ghz stable at all because my Vcore keeps fluctuation massive amounts of voltage on its own, it’s like it has a mind of its own and I don’t know if the board is bad or this is a BIOS/Gigabyte Issue.

Any help will be appreciated! Thank you.

Re: GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev 1.1 Temps, Vcore & LLC Issues.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 05:05:50 pm »
I also am wondering why my vcore is soo spratic. My best guess is the ud3 bios is set to limit how much current the cpu can draw and thus throttling the vcore and speed of our cpu. I have enabled HPC Mode under cpu core features, this helped some but not nearly enough my cpu temps are very good and i can not push them because of the cpu downclocking and lowering vcore... 100% load the highest i have seen is 40c (recorded by core temp normal load temps are around 31-36c) that is with vcore at 1.57max and the NB core at +.125v w/e that ends up being i have yet to see a place that will tell me...

I guess what i would like to know is if there is a bios unlock feature like in the past control+F1, or is this mother board just not able to handle this cpu at full load? maybe someone with a ud5-7 could chime in here.

Re: GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev 1.1 Temps, Vcore & LLC Issues.
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 08:08:15 am »
Found a solution to my issues. There are a few settings that must be applied to allow your CPU to run with out thinking it is drawing to much current.
(or at least what i believe to be drawing current error)

First thing set CPU vcore to 0.000 offset
-enable HPC mode in CPU config
-disable Core Performance Boost (I also disabled cool&quiet and all other CPU function not sure if they are needed to be disabled or not)
-Enable Vcore Loadline Calibration to Extreme. PLEASE BE SURE TO SET CPU VCORE TO 0.000V OFFSET!!! ANYTIME YOU CHANGE ANY OF THE LLC SETTINGS!!! REBOOT AND CHECK VCORE IN BIOS BEFORE ADJUSTING OFFSET. also i like to check vcore in windows to make sure things are in check. your max vcore with this setting will not show untill under 100% CPU load.

Now your CPU should respond much better to voltages and frequency adjustments.

(also on a side note if you have LLC Extreme enabled do not use CPU feature Core Performance Boost. It also has LLC of its own and can create some very high vcore conditions.)