Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z77X-UP5 TH: No Video Output -- SOLVED (sort of)

GA-Z77X-UP5 TH: No Video Output -- SOLVED (sort of)
« on: January 20, 2013, 07:57:41 pm »
NOTE: See the end of the post for how I resolved this issue in my setup.  I still have questions, and this won't work for every situation, but I'm at least moving forward to my next question  ;).  I started typing this before I switched to VGA output, and am going ahead and posting it in hopes it may help someone else in the future.

I have just assembled a new system, and am not seeing any video output.

I have cut everything back to the minimum, I think.

GA-Z77X-UP5 TH motherboard
Intel i7-3770K CPU
Noctua NH-D14 cooler plugged into the CPU Fan header
Corsair AX850 power supply, with 24-pin and 8-pin connected to motherboard
USB wireless keyboard and mouse plugged into a USB 2.0 slot on the back of the case
2 case fans plugged into SYS_FAN2 and SYS_FAN3, respectively
Monitor plugged into the DVI port on the motherboard

I unplugged all the drives, the video card, even the case front-panel switches, to reduce the number of things that could be causing problems.

When I hit the power switch on the motherboard, the 7-segment display runs through a series of codes, ending with A9 and then Ab.  It hangs at Ab forever.  I do not see any output at all on the monitor, ever.

If I turn the monitor off and then on, it has an LED that lights blue for a few seconds, then it displays a message saying there is no input on the DVI cable, the LED turns red and the monitor goes to sleep.

If I unplug the DVI cable from the monitor, it displays a message saying the cable is unplugged, so plugging it in is definitely causing the monitor to recognize that there is something on the other end of the cable.

If I plug this monitor into my laptop, it works fine.

SOLVED (sort of)

I plugged the monitor into the VGA port instead of the DVI-D port, and now I get video to the monitor.  It's saying "BIOS has been reset -- Please decide how to continue" -- probably because I hit the "CMOS_SW" while in the course of trying to get output via the DVI-D port.  I'm going to pick "Enter BIOS" and go on from there -- as I said at the top, I imagine I'll be back soon with more questions.

My question for now is -- why does the VGA port work, but the DVI port not work?

Another question -- why does the onboard graphics system work, but my eVGA GTX-690 video card not work?

I'm off to investigate, but if anyone has thoughts to share, I'd appreciate them.

Re: GA-Z77X-UP5 TH: No Video Output -- SOLVED (really)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 09:47:05 pm »
Doh!   :-[

I think I have determined the cause of the earlier failure on the DVI-D port -- I didn't have the cable plugged into the monitor tightly enough.  It works now with both the onboard graphics and the graphics card.

So, no more questions outstanding at this point.