Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-MA790X-DS4 + Phenom II x4 - POSTING PROBLEMS

GA-MA790X-DS4 + Phenom II x4 - POSTING PROBLEMS
« on: January 11, 2013, 09:04:12 am »
Hi, my setup is this right now:

MA790X-DS4
AMD PHENOM II x4 965
8GB RAM (ADATA 2x2GB gaming  + ADATA 2x2GB extreme)
2x HD4770 Crossfire
KINGSTON SSD 120GB + WD 640GB black
SIRTEC 500W

I had the exactly same configuration except CPU (Athlon 64 x2 6000+) when I have updated bios from F5 to F10d beta preparing it for the new phenom.
The bios update went smooth and for 2 weeks the pc ran well without any single problem.

Few days ago, after I have installed Phenom II, MB is posting after few minutes and some retries. Sometimes I have a long beep, but most of the time no error warrning from speaker, only the coolers check over and over. I have tried with 1,2,4 dimms of RAM, also Loaded Fail SAfe in BIOS.
Sometimes i have this delayed POST, sometimes POSTS immediately (rarely), sometimes POSTS fast on power on sometimes not. etc

On the other hand, after it POSTS and enters Win7, I have played a couple of games for few hours and ecerything went well.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-MA790X-DS4 + Phenom II x4 - POSTING PROBLEMS
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 01:21:00 pm »
Hi there,

first look at your specs and I would suspect that the 500 Watt PSU is a little under powered for your system, especially as you are now running  the Phenom 965 and two 4770's in crossfire.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 01:49:43 pm »
The older CPU had 90W , this one 125 so not much more.
I can simply remove the extra HDD and 1 graphic, but I dont think the PSU is the problem here since after posting, the pc runs well.
Thanks for respond.... Anyone else please help.

Forgot to say in the original post, that I tried to run with 1 or 2 DIMM's also. Also tried to run all 4 DIMM in ganged and unganed mode. I never tried to modify voltages or timings. DDR2 runs at 400Mhz in dual channel mode or 800Mhz, single channel.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 01:50:22 pm by viking_ro »

Vezina

• If it s not broken, fix it until it is !
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 02:12:07 pm »
It might be a power supply issue as absic advised you.

You will need to take some load from the PSU ,video card or HDD-s and see if anything changes.
A power supply with bad capacitors gives such random problems.
The long beep can come form the video cards on-board buzzer.

Keep in mind that in time the power connectors you insert in the components ,get tired (the contacts get loose) even if the power supply electronically speaking is healthy (no problems with the caps).You can take a look at all this connectors.

Try a different power supply and see what happens ,swaping out components is the key.

Also the TDP of the CPU has no relation with the actual power consumption ,it refers to the heat it gives.That CPU sucks more than 125W in load.If it s the 140W TDP version of the 965 even better.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 02:13:52 pm by Vezina »
Over & Out !

AMD FX (APU-s included) users should install - KB2645594 & KB2646060 under Windows 7

1.ASUS Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 + FX 6300 + H60
2.MSI A88X-G41 PC Mate + A8 5600K + Hyper TX 2
3.Gigabyte F2A75-D3H + A4 5300
4.ASUS AM1M-A + Athlon 5150

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 03:55:48 pm »
I have disconnected all SATA and peripherals and left only 1 DDR module and 1 graphic card and replugged all connections steady. I have tried this with other DDR module too, different 6 pin connector also for graphic, other graphic card(that didn t need the 6pin additional power connector) and the problem is the same.
I have watched closely after power on and this is the result:
     When powered on, first comes the graphic card cooler test which spins on different rotations for a second, and then spins normal. After 5-10 seconds, the cooler on graphic card almost stops and the MB tries to recheck again the cooler. This can happen 1-5 times, but when the cooler doesn''t seem to stop, MB posts and I get a beep from speaker and goes well afterwards.
As I have said, sometimes, probably after more than 5 cooler check tries, I get a long beep, probably, as Vezina said, there is a cooler problem on graphic card.

In conclusion, either the CPU (because all theese came when I have changed the CPU) or MB (because of the BIOS update to F10d beta, though before installing the CPU nothing wrong happened)  has a problem. Do you think reflashing BIOS or clear CMOS or what else can I do to sove this?

Thank you

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 05:13:03 pm »
Do you know if the CPU is the C2 or the C3 version?

The motherboard won't support the C2 version as it is 140 Watt whereas it will support the C3 version which is 125 Watt.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 06:51:14 pm »
I knew whast to buy even before buying the CPU :)
Yeah, checked the code on the CPU and is the C3 one. CPU ID and Aida 64 also confirm that is a C3 stepping.
Thanks

Vezina

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 06:51:29 pm »
We need the CPU imprint to find out.

Also i see that the board has a 8 pin CPU power connector.Make sure you are using it fully .
I would still test with another power supply.

Also keep in mind it s a DS4 board ,budget board.

I would use the latest BIOS that worked.If the previous BIOS version "knows" Daneb then the 965 will work too.But again we need to know the CPU version to avoid smoke.

Maybe it s time to upgrade to a AM3+ board  ,if it s Gigabyte get a UD3 version minimum :)

LE:Posted simultaneously :) ignore the first sentence.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 06:52:03 pm by Vezina »
Over & Out !

AMD FX (APU-s included) users should install - KB2645594 & KB2646060 under Windows 7

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 07:10:17 pm »
8pin CPU connector? I didnt know anything about this. I have a 4 pin connector on MB which I am gonna replug after I finish this reply.

The last version of BIOS is F5 and doesn't support this CPU... I was thinking about trying new PSU also, still I don t think that causes the issue.
I remember seeing some posts when bought my PSU, and people where talking that different PSUs output different current on 3.3V, 5V, 12 V etc and in order, for instance, to run dual GPU you need at least X ampers on 12V (for example), I dont know exactly the voltages and currents.
Is t possible that the CPU and PCIe  both need similar voltages and maybe the Phenom causes the failure in fan check. Or maybe the beta BIOS has trouble identifying Phenom and rechecks over an over again to identify causing the recheck of the graphic fans. (and probably the graphic fans are allright).

Do you think that reflashing BIOS to SAME version as now can do anything good since I didnt have by now any problem when flashing the first time or running PC afterwards?
Thank you.

EDIT: I have restarted and saw the 8pin 12V slot  on MB close to the CPU. 4pins are covered by a protective plastic, so I have plugged only a 4pin connector from PSU(worked for 4 years with Athlon 64 x2 this way). Is there any risk of inserting the 8pin from PSU (wich is provided) coz i never used it before and I dont really understand what the manual says about it.

With the use of the power connector, the power supply can supply enough stable power to all the
components on the motherboard. Before connecting the power connector, first make sure the
power supply is turned off and all devices are properly installed. The power connector possesses
a foolproof design. Connect the power supply cable to the power connector in the correct orientation.
The 12V power connector mainly supplies power to the CPU. If the 12V power connector is not
connected, the computer will not start.

• To meet expansion requirements, it is recommended that a power supply that can withstand
high power consumption be used (400W or greater). If a power supply is used that does not
provide the required power, the result can lead to an unstable or unbootable system.
• The power connectors are compatible with power supplies with 2x2 12V and 2x10 power
connectors. When using a power supply providing a 2x4 12V and a 2x12 power connector,
remove the protective covers from the 12V power connector and the main power connector on
the motherboard. Do not insert the power supply cables into pins under the protective covers
when using a power supply providing a 2x2 12V and a 2x10 power connector.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 07:39:40 pm by viking_ro »

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 09:13:23 pm »
I have plugged the 8pin PSU 12V connector for CPU, I have also found another connector on MB PCIE_12V, plugged a cable from PSU (the one that used to power IDE harddisks, I hope that is the cable needed) and looks like the issue persists.

Vezina

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 09:56:53 pm »
Yes it may be that t he PSU to have a bad multirail design ,so when the CPU draws more thru the CPU power connector (the 8 pin one) less power to be available for the video cards and vice-versa and strange things to occur.

Regarding the flash it seems that Daneb is supported since F7 BIOS.
I would reflash the board using a CPU that works and with which you have no issues to version F9 and see if the board works with that BIOS.
Reflashing should be made in a stable environment.
If no CPU is available to reflash then maybe you can force the back up BIOS to show up and copy the previous(last before the beta)) BIOS back to the main BIOS.

You have 2 steps left :

1.Try a different PSU -> Corsair 600W should be ok
2.Flash to another BIOS version
Over & Out !

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 10:54:09 pm »
ok thanks.