Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z77X-UD5H - possible to reformat HD / SSD to GPT?

Z77X-UD5H - possible to reformat HD / SSD to GPT?
« on: January 13, 2013, 08:40:44 am »
Hi everyone - sorry for the silly question, but I'm stuck and am hoping that you can help.

I build myself a new PC every three / four years and this time I went for an intel i5 with a Z77X-UD5H motherboard, a 2 TB hard disk and a Crucial Adrenalise SSD to speed things up.  Windows 7 for the operating system.

I put everything together, including fitting the SSD.  I forogt that hard-disk order is important and just booted the thing with the windows 7 disk, popping back and forth to prod it along when it wanted information.  I installed windows on the hard disk and everything seemed fine.

When I got around to installing Crucial Adrenalise, I found that the software wouldn't work because the systam partition had put itself on the SSD, even though the boot partition was on the hard disk.

I decided that if I were to remove the SSD from the PC, it would force the system to put the system partition on the hard disk and then I could reformat the SSD.  Didn't work.   Tried to format the hard disk and boot from Windows DVD and just start again from scratch (no SSD installed).  Couldn't do it because the hard disk was in the wrong format (wanted GPT format, which I hadn't heard of before).  Clicked on the 'format' option on the motherboard but that did nothing.  Put the SSD back into the system to try and boot from there, but it wouldn't boot.  I finally decided to stop messing up my new system and ask for help.

Windows will not install on either drive due to them being the wrong format.  I cannot see a way to format the drives to GPT.  I didn't make any recovery disks before trying to get the Adrenalise set up.  Is there any way for me to format the hard disk to GPT and completely clear the SSD system partition?  I'd be happy to wave a magnet over the hard disk if that would reset it back to factory state.

Can anyone help me?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Z77X-UD5H - possible to reformat HD / SSD to GPT?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 08:51:31 am »
Hi there,

when faced with this kind of thing it can be really frustrating and Micros**t seem to make something that should be easy, really difficult.

What I do is restore the drives to there original state using Parted Magic http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=downloads#.UPJ04Scie1s which I BOOT from a USB Pendrive then erase the HDD or SSD which allows you to start from scratch.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 08:58:42 am »
That sounds perfect - I'll give it a go.  Thanks for the fast response!

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 11:19:15 am »
It worked - thanks.  Took me a while to get the linux boot USB to work - made the mistake of testing the boot on my laptop before trying it on the PC and that seems to have corrupted it or something, but the second try did the job.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 12:07:09 pm »
Pleased to have been able to point you in the right direction.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.