Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-M720-US3 (rev. 1.0) failure to install windows xp at BIOS ver F5/6

zaragon1

after flashing my BIOS from F2 in one step increments to F6 , I now find that I cannot reinstall windows XP Pro SP3 , is it possible to actually reverse this and go from F6 back to F2 ? ( windows reboots the system at 39 minutes showing -checked log file in DOS , no .inf files showing )

my pc worked ok , and I haven't changed any other items on the PC ,and it has worked OK for 3 months ( not connected to internet )

1) checked HDD with full manufactures ( Samsung 500 gig spin point ) diagnostic software , inc full surface scan - all tests pass ok - I know how to use DOS and all the partitioning devices in windows - also run Hirens disk , ran full disk wipe and disk returned to RAW
2) removed 1 stick of PC 800 RAM ( corsair )
3) all temperatures ok
4) sata HD cable / keyboard / mouse replaced
5) Ran pc from dvd drive with Puppy Linux - pc works for hours and is fast and stable - though this doesn't  install anything to the HDD
6) no disk partition /full 500 gig used at present /  ntfs used
7) ATI 4770 graphics card used from initial build -have used it to play full Wolfenstein game

also tried to install  winhome sp2 and that stops at same point ,as does windows original xp disk from 2002

so , it works ok at installing the system at F2 ,now on F6 or F5 it doesn't

Pottypete

Re: GA-M720-US3 (rev. 1.0) failure to install windows xp at BIOS ver F5/6
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 09:09:01 am »
hi,
It may also be bad or dirty CD
you got the hdd set corectly in bios to ide, xp don't play well with sata drives
cheers

zaragon1

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 01:44:11 pm »
tried 3 original windows xp  disks , so can count out any problems with condition of disks

1) my original one from 2002 ( OEM )
2) my original home version sp2 (OEM )
3)my original windows xp pro sp2 ( full retail )-- no pirate disks - all in pristine condition

Have also used 3 different makes of CD/ dvd player (Asus / LG/ Pioneer ) all connected as master to IDE cable ( 80 connectors)

No matter what combination I use ( and I format the HD prior to each install) is balks and resets the pc when showing approx 39 minutes remaining

main problem is that this pc has worked OK for 3 months , and all I did to the system from the first install ( nov09 ) was change the bios from F2 to F6, after the first windows  install , so  that's the only variable  - if it was dirty disk / hardware conflict / psu problem etc , I would of expected a failed install right after the build

cpu= amd phenom 720be -- not over clocked

PC was not connected to internet ,in fact it wasn't connected even to a printer/ just used to play  pc game " wolfenstein" before being moved to my pc room

sorry abut long post ,but in more 10 years of putting pc`s together ,and a lot of certificates in pc software / building from tech college / expert user at Microsoft office , this is really a problem

I don't have alternative pci-e GPU/ sata hard drive / memory , so cant eliminate the problem via that method

regards in advance

Pottypete

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 03:16:26 pm »
Hi,
Check out this link on m/s xp trouble shooter
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718
Has the update to F6 offering you any benefits?
39 mins on installation is when device driver installation starts, (I believe)
You have not got corrupted bios files have you?
Cheers

Pottypete

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 04:02:59 pm »
Hi,
Tested your memory with memtest!
Any beeps from o/board speaker?
Does your bios recognise your hard drive on post?
Gotta be hard drive access problem!
Q-flash will allow you to install any saved  bios files you have
Cheers
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 05:42:01 pm by Pottypete »

zaragon1

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 08:02:39 pm »
thanks for the pointers

MEM test was left running 24 hours - no fault - corsair xms2 6400 /800 - not over clocked ,though for some reason the bios shows this @ 1.924 volts ,and it is rated @ 1.8 volts  :-\

all BIOS updates via floppy disk ,and verified at completion / followed Gigabyte instructions exactly !!- I know what happens when you get it wrong

BIOS detects the HDD on sata port / shows correct capacity @500gig

no beeps - power instant off ,and no log left in the C:/Windows  setupapi.log,   ( accessed via Linux live disk  ) to show any . inf file problem

http://techtracer.com/2007/03/12/xp-installation-the-34-minute-hiccup/

haven't kept the previous BIOS versions  , cant I just download them and install  F6 > F5 >F4 >F3 ?

Pottypete

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 08:50:11 pm »
Hi,
You can just download F2
You may get a message that this file is older than the one installed version ! but continue
Just out of curiosity,  split the drive into 2 partitions and install to the second/last one, letting xp format drive,
Dont forget to reset the clear cmos jumper, set to load default and then reboot, enter bios adjust cpu and memory timings to manufactures specs, reboot and try installing,
cheers

« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 08:51:48 pm by Pottypete »

zaragon1

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 12:20:19 am »
OK Gigabyte friends

Finally  got PC to run  ;D

installed HD on other PC , booted up and installed xp ( retail  xp2 ) , then took drive out , reinstalled it into PC ,and it detected and installed all the drivers -though  I'm not connected to the internet with this PC , sp3 will have to wait !

now shows HD on IDE channel 2 , which I'm sure was not showing before

anyway , a good learning lesson ! ,and yes I did partition and install xp to drive "d" ( didn't work ) and Ive re flashed the BIOS back to ver F3 and that process was perfect !

many thanks for your inputs , great forum  ;D ;D

Pottypete

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 09:06:17 am »
Hi,
Still seems strange why it would not install on that mobo though,
Didn't realise you had another PC available!!,
Cheers

zaragon1

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 01:31:16 pm »
I don't , it involved a 20  mile round trip car journey  ::) ::) and my friend was prepared to try it on his gigabyte  GA-MA770-UD3  with AMD 9950be / and same Corsair Ram that I have.

its working fine today and I'm reinstalling apps by the ton !!