Official GIGABYTE Forum

z77-d3h no post and continuous alarm..???? stumped..

ZIGGATRON IV

• Life, but not as we know it....
z77-d3h no post and continuous alarm..???? stumped..
« on: January 17, 2013, 05:02:37 am »
Hi I received a Z77-D3H today and promptly put it all together with the other components I had waiting.

When I fired it up to give it a quick test, the board didn't post???

There was no speaker fitted so I fitted one and tried again..

No post and the mobo is screaming at me constantly..?

I double check everything and try again, same deal..

I disassemble the build and set it up as a "bread board" set up...

fortunately I have a wealth of tested and known to be working components, so I was able to test many variations..

I tried two PSU's, two sets of memory and three different processors.. two sandy bridges and an ivy bridge..

Same deal..

Obviously I have tried using just one stick of ram in all available slots and removed everything except the psu, cpu, heatsink... same deal...

Now I am a bit stumped...

I work with boards a lot, but this is the first time I have come across this particular problem and it is the first time I have worked a z77 chipset board...

I have a Z68 and an H61 running here at the moment...

Am I missing some thing?? Does the Z77 have some hidden "need to know" basis only, trick.. that I am not privy to???

Or is this board toast???

The guy who sold it to me said it was bought new in December for a build and then never used, so on that basis it should be A OK...

Weird thing is, if this board is toast, it will be the fourth board in a row in 4 weeks that has turned up with a completely unexpected and unlikely terminal fault ..??? ???

4 boards in a row in so many weeks..?? ??? ???

Now I ask you, what are the chances of that??   Million / 1?? :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Any input would be much appreciated...   Do theses Z77's  have a particular fault that causes this or am I the first?

thanking you.. :) :)   
Life can seem impossible but strength of spirit does and will always prevail.. Never, ever, ever, ever give up, you will get there. :-)

dikal

Re: z77-d3h no post and continuous alarm..???? stumped..
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 05:27:57 pm »
Hi !

Maybe you can find some help here: http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 07:31:28 pm »
Hi there,

it seems strange that you have had issues with 4 boards and I would suspect that something other than the motherboard is causing the issue unless, of course, it is due to the CPU's not being recognised by the BIOS.

Have you checked that the CPU's you have tried are recognised by the earliest release of the BIOS as the boards may have been shipped with this?

If you are sure that the CPU's are supported then could you post back with detailed information about the hardware you are trying to use in this build as it would be easier for others to try and offer practical help.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

ZIGGATRON IV

• Life, but not as we know it....
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 09:49:34 pm »
Hi, thanks for the response...

I am aware of the necessity on some Gigabyte boards of the need to update the bios using a 32nm chip.. (sandy) in order for the board to support the 22nm Ivy Bridge chips....

Had to do it on a previous build..

I have tried the board with both types of chip and same result..

Would be a pretty poor bios if it didn't support either.. :)

the other components have been tested live..  PSU's, Memory etc on two other machines.. a Gigabyte H61 build and an ASUS P8Z68 - V / GEN 3

The two 500W PSU's have been tested on the ASUS build with a Geforce 8800 GTS, 500gig Seagate sata iii drive, dvd and multiple fans...

They will definitely be sufficient to power the Z77 mobo, cpu and fan..

The memory is 4 GIG ddr3 1333 MHz and 8 GIG GSKILLS RIPJAWX..

The processors are Celeron 1.8ghz sandy, Pentium G860 3.0GHZ sandy and an i5 3550 Ivy...

This alarm sound like the warning if fan cuts out etc.. which isn't the case...

Or the CPU is unsuitable for the board.. vastly different FSB setting or something..

Again shouldn't be the case and the board will not post so I couldn't check anyway...

As I said all components are proven to be working perfectly..

I have one more power supply to try but really it's overkill...  The only reason I keep trying is it's difficult to accept that another board which is allegedly brand new has turned up with a terminal illness...

4 out of 4 boards, in 4 weeks....

Oh I might as well try a new CMOS battery, for the sake of it,  but if that was low/faulty it would only stop the board remembering bios settings and flash up with a warning during posting..

I do a lot of builds and I'm already sure this board is faulty...

Just don't want to accept it...

More delays and hassle... >:( >:(

Have seen a few threads now where these Z77 boards have had issues like this.. and it's been RMA all the way...

Still open to suggestions..

Thanks for your help..

Life can seem impossible but strength of spirit does and will always prevail.. Never, ever, ever, ever give up, you will get there. :-)